cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my air filter? Onan 7.5kw diesel

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
My maintenance manuel tells all about how to change the air filter but I can't locate it. I am set up in a grass field, tailgating but my genny will only run for limited time varying from 5 minutes to an hour. The code I get is 36, which says to try first try holding the start button in the off position for at least a minute before starting up. After this, it says check for air filter blockage, but I can't find the filter location. If it is under the coach I'll have to wait until I can get to another location.
10 REPLIES 10

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
Seems to me that if that filter was plugged, it was doing it's job and is needed,

That is a point, but it appears it is only protecting the much larger Onan filter having to do its job. The Onan filter should last forever if I keep changing out that small in line filter.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
Told me that Tiffin placed an in line filter ahead of the generator that was useless and a source of problems since fuel goes straight from there to the main filter.

Seems to me that if that filter was plugged, it was doing it's job and is needed,
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Went to Cummins to get an appointment this morning. The manager asked me if my coach was a Tiffin. Told me that Tiffin placed an in line filter ahead of the generator that was useless and a source of problems since fuel goes straight from there to the main filter. I saw that, yesterday and considered deleting but thought it must have a purpose. Cummins manager gave me a connector to replace the filter and it seems to have solved the problem.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I made it through the weekend tailgate with a 2 kw Honda my son brought from my house. When I got the coach back to the storage lot I checked the air filter and it looked good. I see the fuel filter but decided to leave it for the experts. I am waiting for Cummins RV shop to open this Monday morning.

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
if you have an Onan 7.5kw quiet diesel, the air filter is accessed from underneath, has black plastic cover held in place by wing nut. Element is retained by oval shaped metal cover held by identical wing nut. fault code 36 is displayed when genset slows to point below controller target speed. Usually a fuel delivery issue, ie fuel filter or pump.
If air filter restricted, will run poorly and smoke from exhaust immediately, and probably be difficult to start. Would be better able to offer some real help if you noted full model and serial number of your genset.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
When you open the door, oil the hinges and latches.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
emiddleb wrote:
On my Onan 7.5KW model HDKAJ the air filter is accessed underneath, below the switch panel. You should see a grill for the air intake and the filter is next to it behind a cover held on with a wing nut.

Would help to know your model, but look at this manual for diesel gens, page 4 diagram...

clicky

Thanks. Somehow my folder, which the previous owner dowloaded and printed, is missing Figure 2. Just noticed that my first Figure is 3. That was the problem. I will print this and add to the folder. Thanks again.

I said I was in the grass but not long grass. There is a raised ground contour at the front, limiting my access to the generator. Maybe I can push it back in and get to the filter, now that I know where to look.

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
On my Onan 7.5KW model HDKAJ the air filter is accessed underneath, below the switch panel. You should see a grill for the air intake and the filter is next to it behind a cover held on with a wing nut.

Would help to know your model, but look at this manual for diesel gens, page 4 diagram...

clicky
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not under the coach. If memory serves, it's behind the access panel high and right of center.....or there-a-bouts.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Wait, you're in a grass field, can't get under the coach to check for a filter, and you want to run a genset?

They do get really hot and if the hot exhaust starts a grass fire, you could be looking at liability your insurance won't cover.

Aside from that, without knowing what age, we'd just be shooting in the dark. Sorry. To take a shot though, my '94 Onan has a black plastic cover over the air filter which is on the accessible end of the genny (the end with the generator portion) inside the compartment. Not underneath where it could get damaged from road hazards, or wet, or grimy.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.