cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which diesel rig would you purchase?

Dollo
Explorer
Explorer
We have had an Itasca Suncruiser for about 16 years. Actually we are on our third one in that time frame. This last one has about 70,000 miles on it so we do use it, it is a 2005.

We want to move up to a diesel pusher. We have looked at the Tiffen Red, the Berkshire, Itasca diesels and a Thor.

If you were to buy one now, what would you go with?

If you have recently purchased, in the last few years, such a rig, are you happy with the one you have, would you do it differently?

I could use all the guidance I can get here so please be open and blunt with your opinions, thoughts and guidance. I think we would like to stay in the 38 foot range or so. If you have thoughts on that please share. Share any thoughts you may have on the issue at all.

Thank you.
52 REPLIES 52

Dollo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you debandi, good guidance.

That being said, service is a big thing. Our second Itasca turned out to be a lemon and it would have been a marriage killer had we not had a service center close by.

Dollo
Explorer
Explorer
We are having a hard time finding a Newmar dealer, or we would have looked at them already. Does anyone have an opinion on Monaco?

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We are full timers. We are enjoying our current MH. If we were to replace it the next one would have a large kitchen, living room and a king size bed. When we shop, we tend to look at liveability or useability and not so much on the brand. Nearly all manufactures use the same brands of frames, engines, transmissions and appliances.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

Dollo
Explorer
Explorer
The kids, we have a 9 year old and a 13 year old, want the 38 ft bunkhouse. I would like the extra half bath that comes with the 38ft non-bunkhouse model.

We looked at the Itasca Meridan and the Solei models, in the same 38ft length. The 2014 Itasca's come in white seating, only. Not a godo mix with kids.

I am looking for a manufacturer that is known for quality. We would like to stay around 38 feet. I am hoping for a consus like "Tiffen is the way to go" and/or Avoid Fleetwood diesels, or guidance like that.

We were offered the Red in the bunkhouse model for $200k, and wonder if we could do better than that if we go that direction also.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffin has probably the best customer service of any. Plus they make really nice looking MH's.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll get more responses if you're more specific about models and price range. The only one you mention is the Tiffin Red, but there are five different floor plans for that one. Is there a length that you're considering, anything specific you want in the floor plan, etc?
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I would add a Newmar Ventana to the mix. I love my gasser but don't drive enough to go diesel.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dollo wrote:

If you were to buy one now, what would you go with?

one with a fiberglass roof.
bumpy