cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which option would you choose? New 2018 vs used 2018?

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
First of all let me say that the two models are not the same. My wife and I are trying to decide between a used 2018 Winnebago vs a new 2018 Thor model that are very similar. The Winnebago costs a little more but seems to be slightly better (tank size, storage capacity, minor other differences). The dealer gave us a very good price on a new model hence the consideration, we weren't considering new at all due to depreciation, so the dealer basically said he'd take the hit on the price! We are trying to decide if we want the new warranty over the slightly better Winnebago that has a layout that we prefer slightly more. Either one would work for us, just trying to decide! What would you do?
20 REPLIES 20

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to buy a MH until I found out thor bought them out. and since I am not a fan of thor I opt out on the deal. If I were you I would take the winnie. that is just my opinion and take it for what it's worth. I have been in the rv business for a long time, retired now but still rv'ing. thor just doesn't build or stand behind their products all that well. many have found out the hard way. all you have to do is ask and take a survey and get ready for the over load

Y-Guy
For me the roof is the biggest deciding factor; pretty sure even the most basic Winnie comes with a Fiberglass roof while my quick check of a couple Thor's showed a TPO Roof. I've had our Winnebago for over 10 years and have had no major issues. That said that was 10 years ago and things change. The other plus to Winnebago is they have their online access to floorplans; plumbing and other plans all online and available to download if you ever need them.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, I would just make sure that the motorhome year and the chassis year are the same. I looked at a Winnebago class "B" that was a 2018 motorhome with a 2017 chassis. The 2018 chassis had several improvements. I want them to be the same year model.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Given these options, I also would likely opt for the Winnebago: you prefer its layout and features, and Winnebago has at least the reputation of being a better maker in general than Thor. Winnebago does provide some good documentation and support for maintenance and repair (wiring diagrams and the like) that most other makers don't make available.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I've only owned 1 Winnebago, it was new and it was pretty good in terms of what we expected in the coach amenities and we liked the simple functional layout. The chassis was the part we didn't like. It wasn't because of the quality of the motorhome or chassis, but more that we simply bought the wrong chassis type/model under the coach we liked.
We have another new Winnebago on order, and should be picking it up in a week or so. We're hoping the coach amenities and the different type of chassis will be the answer to our overall requirements.
So, Winnebago for us. No question.
We looked at Thor stuff that was similar, but there as always something that wasn't quite right with them, so we turned towards Winnebago in the end.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Thor is not known for quality, Winnebago is. No brainer.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE