cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will regular epoxy hold?

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
The prior owner removed most of the carpet in my 27' Sightseer. He replaced it with thick tile that was secured with some sort of adhesive. The adhesive under the accelerator pedal must be over the exhaust manifold, because the adhesive melts after all day driving, and my foot pressure is causing the tiles to move. I've removed the affected tiles and cleaned them with lacquer thinner. I'll get to cleaning the floor later on today.

My question is whether regular epoxy work for securing the tiles. I can't imagine the floor will get to 350 degrees, the upper temperature for epoxy, but I can't know for sure.

What do you think?
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.
21 REPLIES 21

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Measured it today with my Bangood heat gun. 113 degrees after 40 interstate miles. I estimate 150 max. Does that sound about right? If so, I can use 3m4200.
Jim & Sherri

as for the heat deal --- I epoxied a crack in an oil pan 20 years ago and it never has leaked----JB did not hold.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
I would use automotive high temp. silicon

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with JBWeld http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JB-WELD-8267-S-EPOXY-STEELSTIK-STICK-STEEL-REINFORCED-REPAIR-PUTTY-ADHESIVE/110709665028?_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37252%26meid%3Dfd74fc80e1364fcb94ada51138f45e79%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D17%26sd%3D400673785788

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at the Amazon reviews of the product. You are probably right.
Jim & Sherri

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Liquid nails have several formulas, but I never had good luck with it.
It dries forever and doesn't have good grip.
Sure it is cheap and easy.

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I think Liquid Nails LN201 will fit the bill.

It is a polyurethane, so it is flexible. It fills gaps up to 1/4 an inch. It withstands temperatures up to 300 degrees.

http://www.liquidnails.com/products/high-temperature-adhesive-LN201
Jim & Sherri

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got faith in Marine Tex epoxy adhesive/filler (it's like J-B Weld), except less costly per ounce. Think twice, this stuff is pretty permanent. You'll tear up something if you try taking it off.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you can keep your hand or barefoot on the tile in question without pain it is no where near 300. Just use a good epoxy adhesive, sand the tile and floor well and alcohol wipe the area. You will get a good mechanical bond. The only load the tile sees is your foot so it does not need high shear, tensile or compression strength.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I'd use regular epoxy.

If your floor is getting to 300 degrees my thought is that something is wrong.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
What about 3M 4000 or 3M 5200? 5200 may be a little too permanent.
Jim & Sherri

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Vinyl tile that is a pretty good thickness. With shoes on it isn't uncomfortably hot.
Jim & Sherri

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the floor under the accelerator is hot enough for the epoxy to break down, you'd know it from driving having very uncomfortable feet (at the least)!

What sort of "tile" is this? Is it vinyl or ceramic? If it's vinyl, I don't know whether or not epoxy would stick--though I suspect it would--but I do know that thin set or other cement-based mortar would not be a good choice.

If you do use epoxy and there are voids between the tile and the floor substrate, add some thickener to the epoxy like microbaloons or silica or possibly even sawdust. A store like West Marine would have these sorts of materials and possibly someone who could advise you on what would be reasonable to use. Epoxy by itself is rather brittle (and expensive).

If it were me, I don't think I'd care for tile in that area at all, for what it's worth. That's just my preference.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a thought, unless it's a big area and would look obtrusive, why not cut out a large, thick piece of black rubber, like horse mat and install it. It would give you a better surface under your foot.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab