cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind sensor awnings?

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
OK I've heard that wind sensor awnings don't work well, but my 2003 DSDP has one.
Question is, how can you test if it works or not? The wind sensor light is on but does that mean the sensor works?

I always take in the awning when I think it is getting too windy or I'm gone for the day, but I'd like to know if I forget will it work or not?

Thanks

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)
19 REPLIES 19

DeanLinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
The WeatherPro awning on our 2004 Journey (10 years old last April) actually retracted yesterday like it should have. It was not gusty, but every morning here in Prescott, AZ the breezes kick up. We normally pull the awning in because after 10 years, I still don't trust that the automatic retractor will work. Was glad to see that it still did. I always pull the awning in when we leave the M/H alone.
Dean L
2004 Winnebago Journey 39W--Cat 330 power
2013 MINI Cooper S Hatchback
Blue Ox towing package

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine works great
Retracted at least a dozen times in 4 years

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
We've had two awnings blown off.

We never leave it out unless we are there.

We were in Boise last July and one afternoon a horrendous wind storm came in very fast. Several awnings were blown away at the campground.
I asked the campground owners about the sudden wind and they said they see that a couple times a year there.

When the dealer installed our electric awning we have now I requested the wind sensor be eliminated. I had one on the previous RV and was not impressed with it.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
All these testing methods seem unnecessary to me.
Why not just leave the awning open while you are sitting outside and watch what it does?

I sure don't understand bringing it in when you think the wind is coming if you want to see how it works. Seems like the perfect opportunity.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We have the three cup sensor that has worked perfectly over the 7 yrs. that we have had it.

In fact today, I have the motorhome outside and had the awning out about 10 inches. When I checked on it, the awning had retracted. I would think if the awning was extended all the way that there could be a chance of damage as it only moves at a certain speed. But so far, no problems.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
Dufus wrote:
I'm not familiar with all wind sensors, but mine detects movement in the awning and not wind. It works well and I test it periodically by moving the awning up and down. I trust it.

That is the way mine works.
It has a built-in motion sensor that detects movement in the awning, and automatically retracts. It can be set for three different readings.
So far I have been happy with this one.
Only problem is sometimes if I forget and exit the coach in a hurry, I set it off by jumping on the step.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
You do NOT have to fully extend the awning to test. Just extend it 6 inches and that usually gives enough room to get on a ladder to do the Blower test. Doug

That seems like the best idea. I'll give it try when I get back from my trip next week.

Chris
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You do NOT have to fully extend the awning to test. Just extend it 6 inches and that usually gives enough room to get on a ladder to do the Blower test. Doug

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Easy to test. STOP RETRACTING IT WHEN THE WIND IS GETTIN UP. 🙂

Leave it out to see if it works.

Mine has 3 sensitivity settings. I tried it first on the Low setting and it was too sensitive. Then stepped up to Med and High depending on how much the wind is getting up.

After a while I learned to trust it. It does work well.

I must say that if sit I Gusty wind, leave it retracted as it can blow the thing around pretty good before the sensor detects it.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

Dufus
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with all wind sensors, but mine detects movement in the awning and not wind. It works well and I test it periodically by moving the awning up and down. I trust it.
Full timer
2013 Excel 36GKM Limited
1997 Freightliner FL50 CAT 3126 w/ Allison 6spd Auto
2007 Toyota Camry
2004 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan Trike

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Three boards and three sensors, The longest ours worked without the alarm sounding was 2 months. Haven't worried about it, since the last alarm four years ago, just turned it off.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two different (Well 3) Different wind sensors.

A&E Weather Pro "Lighthouse" units are the ones that are ... Not good, (personal opnion but shared by many) on this unit there is a small tower on the roof, usually above the control box which is usually near the front end of the awning, it looks like a lighthouse.

FAN IT,, when the wind speed hits around 15MPH, it should retract

The next is a Carefree they use a 3-cup "spinner" on their older units,, Same test

Newer A&T, (Do not know about carefree) uses a motion sensor in the front arm.. This one, in theory, SHOULD work.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies so far.
Matter of fact, we are under a tornado and or severe thunderstorm watch this afternoon so the the awnings are in!

The sensor is in an awkward position, I can't reach it from the side because when the awning is out, it blocks access to the sensor, its in about 2-3 ft in from the end.

I can't get up on the roof anymore because it seems I've developed an irrational fear of heights in the last few years (go figure after nearly 30 years in the army!).

So I guess there is no easy answer yet for me. Maybe my BIL will go on the roof for me with a hair dryer or a feed from my air compressor?

Thanks

Chris

bluegypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I was told that it takes a "sustained wind" of the speed you've set in order for the awning to come in (I've heard anything from 10 to 20 seconds), so I don't trust mine and bring it in if I'm gonna be away for any period of time. Especially if you're in an area prone to thunderstorms (and where isn't?), since you're bound to get sudden high gusts in T-storms.
In other news, my automatic awning also has a "freeze warning" so it comes in when the temp drops below freezing. Strangely, it also sometimes comes in when the temp goes over 95 degrees or so.
Bluegypsy (that's the RV's name)

Map shows where we've lived and worked, travelling through doesn't count....