cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WINNEBAGO CHIEFTAIN 1991 32 FT GAS TANK ISSUE

rtimblin54
Explorer
Explorer
Grandson's Chieftain having issues on the trip. When he adds gas, after a few gallons fuel runs out somewhere coming over the top of the tank. Nozzle does not shut off. Sounds like the tank is overfull but after about 8 or so gallons of driving, the engine begins to sound fuel starved. Sounds to me like vacuum lock in the tank but can't create a scenario that fits all the symptoms. We need to work out a workaround to get him from Ohio to Missouri (next major stop) if at all possible. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
As said above, going through the floor above the tank would be ideal. I did that once. Sometimes you luck out and it's under the bed. You want to cut a large square hole, with the edges of the hole beveled inward at 30-40 degrees. That way it will drop right in place afterwards and not fall through. A mini circular saw would be best, and making multiple passes each time only 1/8 deep until you feel your almost through. When your nearly through you could make the cut in 1/16 inch passes for increased safety. The situation as it stands right now is dangerous. If you can't fix it in place, have it towed to a repair shop. One spark and that motor home is gone.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
rtimblin54 wrote:
We need to work out a workaround to get him from Ohio to Missouri (next major stop) if at all possible. Any ideas?

That's a lot of gas stops for a motorhome for that distance, I would either find a repair shop now and have it fixed or have him do it himself if he can handle the work, possible fire issue while filling up at gas station and some states you can be fined for spilling fuel..

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
rtimblin54 wrote:
Grandson's Chieftain having issues on the trip. When he adds gas, after a few gallons fuel runs out somewhere coming over the top of the tank. Nozzle does not shut off. Sounds like the tank is overfull but after about 8 or so gallons of driving, the engine begins to sound fuel starved. Sounds to me like vacuum lock in the tank but can't create a scenario that fits all the symptoms. We need to work out a workaround to get him from Ohio to Missouri (next major stop) if at all possible. Any ideas?

Obviously a leak near the top, that sucks air, once the fuel level gets below it. Usually happens with the genset pickup tube or rubber hose leading to it, but this is of a more serious nature.
Don't know of any workaround, other than fixing it and if he can't go through the floor right over the pump access plate, then he'll have to drop the tank.
Through the floor is the way to go, if at all possible and the tank is right below it. Then using a marine type access plate to cover the hole.
Can't say if this one has an internal or external fuel pump, but either way, this seems to be the only answer, without a visual study.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if it's a GM motor/chassis, but there was an issue with the joint between the fuel tank filler pipe and the vent tube to crack which would dump gas. Another possibility is if the pump is at the top the fuel pump gasket could be gone. It was around the early ninties when it was a problem
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.