cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winnebago Fuse(diesel or gas)

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Any owners out there? Can you tell me what kind of fridge they have? I hear it is a compressor type. How do you like your unit? I'm looking for a small touring coach just for sight seeing and short stays. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your replys! Road Dog
9 REPLIES 9

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
I think the LTV "Wonder" version of the FORD Transit Cutaway chassis will be significantly better in quality to the Winnebago "Fuse" version. Companies like Pleasure Way RV, Coach House, and Leisure Travel Vans are better, but you pay a much higher price for that kind of quality! Bagman.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Road Dog wrote:
Can you tell me what kind of fridge they have? I hear it is a compressor type.

As of the 2018.5MY they now use a Nova Kool compressor refrigerator. Prior models used an absorption refrigrator.

FYI, the transmission is a 6 speed RWD unit currently used in the Mustang. This will like change within the next year or 2 to a 8/10 speed RWD unit.

The current 5 cylinder diesel which has been in use around the world for many years for many years will also be replaced with a newer engine within a few years.

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You all for the replies on my concerns. My dealer in Rockford, Ill. only has a 2017 model. I'm going to look at it anyway to see if my wife can live with the floorplan. If I buy a Fuse it will be a 2018.5 model. Thanks again! Road Dog

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Ford definitely had some teething issues with the 3.2L diesel for the first 2 years, mostly associated with the emissions systems. They seem to be generally resolved, but it still doesn't tolerate idling well, same the Sprinter, so the gas motor is recommended if there's a need for extended idling. But other than that, I'd pick the diesel for sure at this point. The gas motor makes enough power, but it has to spin WAY up to make it, so the diesel should provide a better driving experience overall.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Road Dog wrote:
Ed, thanks for the update on the Fuse! I'm going to look at one this Saturday. It is the 23A Floorplan. Should be interesting. I'll let you know what I find!

Roaddog.....be sure to look at the brand new 2018.5 model. We just purchased a 2018.0 model and are quite pleased with it.....got a sizable discount.....and have not had any rear clearance issues yet.....but as I said, the 2018.5 model has improved the rear clearance AND that nice compressor refrigerator and added solar is a big bonus for the Fuse product line. Our Fuse drives and rides like a dream.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Ed, thanks for the update on the Fuse! I'm going to look at one this Saturday. It is the 23A Floorplan. Should be interesting. I'll let you know what I find!

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suspect Earnieโ€™s knowledge is based on the early Winnebago Fuse. Winnebago has recently addressed these issues with their latest 2018.5 model. They have reshaped the rear for more clearance, added more suspension spring to the rear axle, changed out the earlier standard 3-way refrigerator to a compressor refrigerator that runs off the 12V system, added additional solar charge capacity (200W), and a bunch of other things.
I know of dozens of Fuse owners who are quite pleased with their new RVs, including myself. It seems to me that the 23A is the more popular floor plan. I suggest anyone considering getting a Fuse join the Facebook Winnebago Fuse Owners Group. I would also suggest checking out the blog, http://confusedrv.blogspot.com/p/fuse-fixes.html
Iโ€™d also like to add that is not only immensely easier to find a Ford service location for the Fuse diesel compared to finding a Mercedes engine service location......especially if you are out in the boondocks......and Ford service is substantially cheaper than a Mercedes shop!
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I looked long and hard at the Fuse and at the LTV Wonder on the same Transit chassis. I was really interested and my friends got wind of it and asked my opinion. I told them them the twin bed version where the driver's side can be extended lengthwise would absolutely be perfect for us but that I was still looking. At another time later I looked again at the Fuse and noticed how low it sat at the rear and there was no way to adjust it. So I hesitated and thought long and hard about this issue but was still tempted because of the relatively low price compared to a Sprinter based unit and the fact that the Ford built engine for the Fuse has been around a very long time and had a good history in Europe. Supposedly the transmission is a variant of the Ford 5spd trans in the E series van and they are bulletproof. But, I still couldn't get over the low slung rear.

In the meantime My friends talked themselves into buying a new Fuse and called me "The Instigator". The nightmare began from the day forward. The vehicle developed a cracked windshield from just sitting in the sun while parked at home. An oil leak developed at the rear main seal and valve cover; a "Check Engine" came on which the mechanics at Ford could never really resolve. The low slung rear of the vehicle had bottomed out so many times that it needed body work to the rear bumper/fender.

The Winnebago portion was a bunch of rattles and squeaks; drawer catches didn't hold well and during a hard stop pots and pans came flying. Latches and screws constantly came loose. The rear slide/bedroom was a joke because each time the slide came in, the mattress had to fold too.

The vehicle spent weeks at the Winnebago dealership for one thing after another and weeks on end at the Ford Truck dealership(it was considered a Ford truck and only Ford Truck shops would work on them and they took their sweet time). One of the biggest problem with servicing the Fuse was that it was "too new" and parts took forever to arrive.

My friends unloaded the Fuse at a great loss($$$$$) to them and almost begged a PleasureWay dealer to take it in trade. They now own a new PleasureWay Plateau and so do I And we're still talking.

Please remember I'm only reporting the facts and not trying to persuade you to purchase a Fuse or not. That's your choice.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A RV residential fridge needs plugins every night or a big set of batteries recharged by solar or a generator. That ok with you?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad