cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago Roof Inspection

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
What exactly am I looking for when I “inspect the seams” on a Winnebago fiberglass roof? I’ve had no problems yet, would like to keep it that way.

I’ve re-caulked the seams between the roof and the two end caps (fairly obvious what to do there). I’m not sure what I’m looking for where the “edge goes under the J rail”. Am I looking for a gap or bubble? All looks smooth to me. Anything else need to be done to maintain this 16 year old roof? (It sits outside year round)

Here's what I'm seeing:

Looking from above:

From below:

By front end cap seam:

BTW – has anyone found a Youtube or pictures showing what a separation looks like?
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV
7 REPLIES 7

atodalen
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to me like the seams definitely need a good cleaning and caulk applied. Bear in mind that the caulk is the only thing that holds the fiberglass roof in place and prevents it from tearing off in the right wind conditions. I generally find about 6 inches needing re-caulking when I do the 6 month recommended check. The areas that I repair look like the entire seam in your picture. If you can push the fiberglass in at all, then it needs caulk. The recommended caulk for our unit is Manus-Bond 75-AM and it can be ordered from Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City, IA.
Happy Trails,
Al
Al and Deedee
Spokane, WA
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
F53 chassis w/ JMcKinley CHF and Brazel's UltraTrac rear trac bar
2006 Honda CR-V, Blue Ox Aventa LX, RoadMaster Even Brake

travelzoo
Explorer
Explorer
The sealant has lost it's bond to the one side. That's why you can push the tooth pick in there, the seam is open and water can get in. My best guess is to clean all the old caulk out and re-caulk or cover the seam with Eternabond.

CVD wrote:
All - thanks for the feedback. A couple more questions:

I’ve read the Winnebago Service tip (thanks emiddleb). I've since washed the roof, then got on a ladder and inspected that seam (pushing for gaps or bubbles) all the way around the coach. I’ve got a gap, but it’s very small and is consistent along both sides of the coach.

At the very bottom of the fiberglass, where it tucks under the awning rail (J bar), I can push in a tooth pick just a little. If I push on the fiberglass, I can create a gap just large enough push the toothpick further in. It’s consistent like this all the way around (no bubbles or larger gaps). Two questions:

1) It looks to me like the factory sealed the fiberglass on the underside only. I’m thinking this small gap on the outside of the fiberglass has been there from day one and is to be expected (see pics below). Correct?

What confuses me is the diagram in that Service Tip, showing sealant on the outside of the fiberglass (inside the awning rail). I have no sealant there (don’t think I ever did).

2) If this gap does indicate a problem and sealant is needed on the outside of the fiberglass, do I clean it out with a toothpick? There isn’t room for a toothbrush or even a popsicle stick.

Thanks,
Cliff

A small gap between the bottom of the fiberglass and the awning rail. A tooth pick only slides in a 1/2":

If I push in on the fiberglass, the toothpick goes in a little further:

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
All - thanks for the feedback. A couple more questions:

I’ve read the Winnebago Service tip (thanks emiddleb). I've since washed the roof, then got on a ladder and inspected that seam (pushing for gaps or bubbles) all the way around the coach. I’ve got a gap, but it’s very small and is consistent along both sides of the coach.

At the very bottom of the fiberglass, where it tucks under the awning rail (J bar), I can push in a tooth pick just a little. If I push on the fiberglass, I can create a gap just large enough push the toothpick further in. It’s consistent like this all the way around (no bubbles or larger gaps). Two questions:

1) It looks to me like the factory sealed the fiberglass on the underside only. I’m thinking this small gap on the outside of the fiberglass has been there from day one and is to be expected (see pics below). Correct?

What confuses me is the diagram in that Service Tip, showing sealant on the outside of the fiberglass (inside the awning rail). I have no sealant there (don’t think I ever did).

2) If this gap does indicate a problem and sealant is needed on the outside of the fiberglass, do I clean it out with a toothpick? There isn’t room for a toothbrush or even a popsicle stick.

Thanks,
Cliff

A small gap between the bottom of the fiberglass and the awning rail. A tooth pick only slides in a 1/2":

If I push in on the fiberglass, the toothpick goes in a little further:
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
emiddleb wrote:
If you don't have it already, go here Service Tips and download Service Tip 2010-10 for diagram and info.

That is really a weird design. The only thing I would question is that they say to use RUBBING alcohol for cleaning. I know that SOME rubbing alcohol contains perfumed oils(hence the rubbing title) and might not be suitable for good adhesion if the oils remain. I would just use either denatured alcohol or straight Isopropyl alcohol.

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have it already, go here Service Tips and download Service Tip 2010-10 for diagram and info.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

travelzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Just press on the roof piece where it tucks in and see if the seam opens. You will need to go all the way along both sides pressing and looking for a opening. You can not tell the seam is open just by looking at it. It helps if you go down both sides with cleaner and a brush and clean it good before checking for a opening.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Your first picture shows the area of concern very well. the area in the picture looks very good and tight. When the fiber glass roof material starts to come loose from where it is "tucked" under the edge anywhere along the length of the motor home it needs to besealed. If allowed to come loose it can peal back and blow off. When that happens the fiber glass,which is very thin, just shreds.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler