cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bug deflector work on a Class C?

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I love our Nexus Phantom 23P Class C but it could easily be a Class "BC" as in "Bug Collector."
It is the standard E-350 Ford Chassis with a larger than most cabover:

(The pic was taken at our site in the Watchman CG in Zion over Thanksgiving)

This might just be the dumb question of the week but I have to ask:

Would the standard bug deflector mounted across the leading edge of the hood on so many trucks work on a Class C? :h

Would/could it deflect some or all of the bugs up and over the cabover I doubt they would just be driven under the overhang as they don't end up there now. Bug deflectors are inexpensive and very simple to install, I know they work well on a pickup as I had one for years on my F-150.

So how about it? Does anyone have any experience one way or the other?

:?
11 REPLIES 11

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
The previous owner of our C had a bug shield. It wore holes in the paint where they had bumpers between the shield and hood. When we purchased it, it had no shield, nor will I add one. I've had plastic shields on vehicles in the past, and have had a number of issues with them:
o washer fluid doesn't reach windshield when at highway speeds
o debris gets trapped between shield and hood
o rust/rot in holes in underside of hood where screws hold the shield

A stainless shield would make sense if there was no gap between the hood and shield, but then it probably wouldn't have the kicker at the top edge.

Ford hoods are plastic/fiber anyway, so they won't rust even if the paint is chipped.

We clean the bugs off with purple power or any good cleaner, then give it a coat of wax now and again. It works for us.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
I just energize my defense grid. 🙂

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Lund Bug Shield on my P/U and at 65 MPH I could wash the hood - and not the windshield. It created a low pressure zone over the hood that the washer fluid followed. Would I put a bug deflector on my Class C? The low pressure zone in front of the windshield is bad enough. I believe that a bug shield would only make it worse. I've had the pleasure and dismay of watching large insects get trapped in the zone, as well as a gold finch strike - only to watch the deceased bird slowly slide from right to left across the windshield. No, I wouldn't install a bug shield.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I put one on a Chevy chassis Class C, a few years back and it worked. The only negative I found was at road speed, the windshield washer fluid would seldom make it to the windshield, as intended. However, I did break a couple of the plastic ones (bug deflectors) by them stopping rocks and other road debris that was thrown up by other vehicles. Found a stainless steel one, I think it was at Cabelas in their RV catalog that lasted and was on the rig when we sold it. Some bugs are going to stick to the front, no matter what you do, so just the price paid of having fun. LOL
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

derh2o
Explorer
Explorer
try spraying the WD-40 on the cab over.
Dean & Melinda
2011 29' Monaco Montclaire
2012 Ford Focus Toad

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Path1, thanks for your input. I like the idea of adding some metal protection to the front of the house down low as this area will surely catch road debris over time. Given the relatively low cost of adding a deflector I may just go ahead and try it with low expectations and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I do keep the entire coach waxed, I have been using Nu Finish with good results for years. This helps when it comes to bug removal and the used Bounce dryer sheets also work very well but it is a long reach/stretch. Yes the Nexus is new (to us), it is a 2012, Arizona does not use front plates. :C

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:

You took perfect pic.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Make that surface so slick that bugs just slide right off!

Sound like witchery? Maybe, but...Believe it or not, there are products out there that claim to prevent bugs from sticking to automotive surfaces. Could be worth a try.

Here's a link to one such product.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking that you'd need one of the 'taller' deflectors-so that it has a shot at pushing the air straight up towards the face of the cabover rather than towards the roofline as normally would be the design...
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a better idea. When on the expressway, find a Class A or a semi and tailgate them. Let them deflect all the bugs. 🙂
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

ronfisherman
Every Class C is different. On ours bugs would get plastered to bottom of cab over. But little on the windshield. Air forced up against cab over cause lots of cab noise. This year I installed some Air Tabs to under side of cab over. This stopped the bugs on under side of cab over and also cut the air noise a lot. But pushed all the bugs to front edge of cab over. Solved one problem. Created a new one. Wish I could find a bug deflector for my Kodiak.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD