cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yes, Another roof question

mobjack68
Explorer
Explorer
Okay folks...not new to camping or campers. First time owner..needing some help.
Roof...mine is an '85 23' class c, and yes, water has taken it's toll and I will be doing some surgery before too much longer.
So here is the issue. I am already thinking about cracking the shell on this thing to do needed repairs and when I do, I am sure some of the roof will need to be replaced as well as interior and exterior wall sections/framing members.
I will be doing all the work myself...well versed in all phases of woodwork with a background in fiberglass...repair and fabrication. I see an awful lot of options for roofing types and materials and everything I see looks to be a short term solution to long range types of problems...as in, everything will need to be resealed/caulked/recaulked/rubberized/galvanized/aluminized and then recaulked again.

What if...I fiberglass the roof panels, fiberglass the side panels and then fiberglass the side panels to the top panels???? Basically create a fiberglass skin over the whole thing....Seamless...at least after I finish, totally eliminate any need to deal with the corner moldings, fasteners, caulk, sealing...

Weight?? there are glassing processes that will allow me to control the weight and the boat building industry has been using sandwich construction for many years...controlling weight while maintaining strength.
Cost?? I can purchase all the glass materials and the sheet goods for what it will cost for a roll of rubber roofing. Labor is the easy part...Thoughts???
1 REPLY 1

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Seamless RV is interesting concept - no expert here but I would think that combo RV movement and expansion/contraction with weather etc might require you to have seams. Seams by themselves are not bad - just need to be maintained.
Kevin