cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New manual lever espresso maker

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
We do a lot of boon docking and my bride thrives on Soy Cappuccinos in the morning. Now my wife very used to very good espresso from high end coffee houses. We purchase a ROK unit to make espresso shots with and had about 10% success. They would come out bitter, or it would curdle the steamed soy, or this, or that. So I went on to a barista forum and asked what their thoughts were and they were similar. One responder recommended the new unit below called a Flair. I purchased one and when it got here we whipped up some espresso and it comes out perfect each time. I actually tossed out the first two shots and got six or seven right after that. Highly recommend getting one if you like legit espresso....I, of course don't drink espresso, I drink what Juan Valdez drinks, black coffee from a French Press or a single cup drip.............
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
4 REPLIES 4

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Vintage465 wrote:
We have a hard time getting a consistent "sweet" meaning not bitter shot with the stove top unit. But then, to me, all espresso tastes bitter. That's why I drink good ole black coffee.

I'm not sure how your stovetop unit works, but bitterness can be caused by the water getting too hot. The ideal range is 195° to 205°. An instant read thermometer is a must.

I have a chrome goose neck stove top pitcher that has a thermometer built into it so we are able to manage the water temp to 205 degrees. And yes, that is the directive I've heard....205 maximum. Or the goods come out bitter.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vintage465 wrote:
We have a hard time getting a consistent "sweet" meaning not bitter shot with the stove top unit. But then, to me, all espresso tastes bitter. That's why I drink good ole black coffee.

I'm not sure how your stovetop unit works, but bitterness can be caused by the water getting too hot. The ideal range is 195° to 205°. An instant read thermometer is a must.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
V-465

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
The best one is the silver one on the counter
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind