cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prime Rib?

ratherBcampin
Explorer
Explorer
How big/what size would I need to feed 5?......One website said a 5.57 lb roast is only "2 Bones" and will feed 4........Does that sound accurate?......My local butcher told me I need a 5 inch roast.....is that accurate?...I'm confused, in the past, my mom always ordered the roast but is no longer able to.....Thanks!
I don't like to brag, but I can still fit into the same pair of ear rings that I wore in high school!!!!
19 REPLIES 19

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
We always fix a prime rib for Christmas. I usually get about a 6-7 lb. bone-in roast for 5 people. I like to make sure we have plenty and as others have said the leftovers (if any) are good. I bake potatoes with the roast and use the oven on then oven off then oven on again method and always have great results.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

1rickw
Explorer
Explorer
For those that are Costco members, they have an offer online for a "Wagyu" Prime Rib Roast. Minimum weight is 11 pounds. Cost is only........$1,199.00. That is $300.00 off regular price!!!!! Get them while they last. By the way, that is $109.00 per pound.
2004 Jamboree 26Q

+ great wife to travel with

:B
2012 Honda Fit towing 4 down with BrakeBuddy

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget that the bones weigh something, too. A five pounder may yield only 3 lb of meat so go bigger rather than smaller. Left-overs are great!

SDPat
Explorer
Explorer
I usually figure 12-16 ounces of pre-cooked bone-in rib roast per person. Not to be a stickler here, but not all rib roasts are "prime" Prime refers to the USDA grade, which is the highest grade and consists of only about 3% of beef produced. The majority of prime cuts are sold to restaurants and not the general public. We as consumers usually only have the choice of purchasing Choice or Select grades in grocery stores.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Every inch is a pound with ides and other stuff most people will eat 8 to 12 oz so after shrinkage a 5 inch roast should do ok.