cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

16' Internet / cell antenna mast......

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I work out of my travel trailer when traveling. I need good internet access. I use one of two HotSpots, Sprint and Verizon, depending on the service available.

HotSpots from inside an aluminum trailer are not very effective.

An outside antenna is the solution.

I bought a Yagi antenna from Amazone for $80

A couple of screw in PVC end caps from Lowes were attached to the side of the camper with stainless screws and 3M 5200 sealer/adhesive

Two screws in each into the wood in the corner of the trailer

Attached to these threaded end caps were two PVC saddle connectors.

A 16' aluminum, extention painters pole, also bought from Lowes, snaps right into those two saddle fixtures.

Once the pole is in the fixtures, you can rotate it to get the best reception.

And a piece of PVC with a thumb screw holds the antenna on the top. (I was going to use the handle from a paint roller, but as tight as I could make it, the wind would loosen it and it wouldn't be pointing at the cell tower)

And there you have it. The wire comes into the trailer and commects to the MiFi HotSpot and your computer or phone WiFis into the HotSpot.

I had this set up on my previous camper, but not as elegant. I simply bungy tied the mast to the ladder. Worked fantastic. Way up in Vermont, in a valley, I was the only one with internet service. I had a lot of friends that weekend!

I use a web site called "OpenSignal" to locate the cell tower around me. Be sure to access this site before you reach your final destination as you will not be able to access it if you don't have internet service!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
12 REPLIES 12

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure the size of the "T". I bought the pole at Lowes and walked over to the plumbing artea and found a T that fit perfectly.

Not sure about wind load. All I can tell you is it takes a lot of effort to remove the pole. You need to twist it in the mount to get it out. I don't think there is much wind load on such a small antenna head.

Time will tell!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Very elegant, simple, and clean solution.

One question comes to mind. How much wind will it take to dislodge the pole? It doesn't look like the saddle wraps around the pole very much.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice. What size saddle tee did you use?
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
please resize your photos for easier viewing.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
John, tell us more about. Yagi for wifi. I'm interested in this aspect also. Can I use this antenna for wifi?
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Elegant set up! I have mounted the Wilson Trucker antennae to my ladder where it connects to the roof and ran the cable down through the frig. This is attached to a Wilson cell phone amplifier. A lot of people don't realize that a camper is a tin can and blocks signals. I also have Yagi mounted on a painters pole to pull in Wifi from many miles away when my roof mounted dipole doesn't work.

I have found that I need both systems as one or the other aren't always available.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

MrWizard
NIce portable install with the Yagi
nice work
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Neat trailer! I like your setup. I might get back into HAM after about 25 years away from it.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB from MA...
Nice setup

I too use an outside PVC pole for my UHF BATWING antenna on my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer for high def HDTV from the local towns... Mounts in less than five minutes...

I also use an external antenna with my WILSON SLEEK cradle where my MIFI units is docked... My small MIFI unit does not have an external antenna connection but sitting in the WILSON SLEEK its internal antenna gets a big passive 2G/3G signal from the WILSON SLEEK preamp...

Haven't really needed the higher pole like you have as I am only getting my signals from a secure VERIZON CELL-PHONE tower connection...

I gave up using unsecured WIFI signals scattered all over the place along time ago and signed up with the VERIZON MIFI 3G data plan which is all the data I need each month to check my emails, pay a few bills, keep tabs on the kids, and do just a little surfing the internet...

My OFF-ROAD POPUP is also setup for a dual fold up 5-foot 3-inch triangle antenna sections for my Ham Radio operations. I run a PVC pipe up the middle of this setup which puts my OFF-CENTER HF Antenna up around 15-feet at the center. Then I throw the outside ends up into the trees - Works great with ICOM IC-706MKII all band HF radio... I also have a screwdriver antenna setup on the trailer as well...

Been setup this way since around 2009 and works out pretty good back off the beaten path...

RoyB - K9pht from VA...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Glenalt
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice!

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Brilliant!
-- Chris Bryant

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Very Nice Roy!
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized