cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Analog TV in my 2006 Hitchhiker

camilllit
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2006 rv has 2 analog TV's. We have been on a permanent site since before the switch to digital broadcasting. We had used the typical Comcast boxes in our rv. We now plan to travel....will our rooftop antenna and our analog TV's work in this digital world. I am confused because I've been told yes, no, will need a digital head up on my antenna, I will need digital TV's to replace my analog TV's that came in our new 2006 rv. I am no techy: I want our TV's to work whether we boondock and use rooftop antenna....... or connect a campground cable wire to our rv.
Please help and thank you.
19 REPLIES 19

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The antenna will work as is, although there may be some options to improve it. There are NO "digital antennas" in the real world, only in the manufacturer's marketing departments. Radio signals are radio signals...

Your analog TV's will need digital (ATSC) to analog (NTSC) converters added to them to receive the new digital programming. I've seen them still stocked in a few Walmarts, and Amazon has them starting at about $23:

Digital to Analog TV Converter
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
And BTW, if your antenna is working, don't pay any attention to all the ads and sales pitches that try to sell you a "high Definition digital antenna to replace your old one" Its pure BS, and unless your antenna is bad, you don't need it! look at my sig picture, and the old Winegard batwing sticking up. At the time, it was pulling in an HD picture from about 50 miles out.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
You will need a link for each TV. Try it before you leave. Your rooftop antenna will work fine.
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
NO, your analog TVs will not use the signal from your antenna, because they will not recognize the digital signal being broadcast by nearly all OTA stations. The antenna, unless there is something wrong with it, will work with a digital signals just as well as it will work with analog. All you really need is a small digital converter box from Walmart or BestBuy for each TV. The box will take the digital signal from your antenna and convert it into an analog signl for your TV. Works great. However, do consider changing out the TV whenever possible, because the new one are much lighter, have a lot better picture, are fairly cheap, use a lot less power, and will give you a high definition picture if the station is broadcasting in HD, which most do by now. The new TVs will not require the converter box, and will work with both antenna and park cable if available. In my case, I had the choice between a converter box for about $50, or a new TV for about $150. the picture on the old analog was low def and fuzzy, Now the new TV is bright and sharp, and picks up a lot more channels than the old one would. A new TV will typically pick up more and weaker channels that the converter box will.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Recycle those old ones and get some new LED TVs. The prices have fallen so low it is no longer a big investment. And the full width HD pictures are infinitely better. The existing antenna should work. My 2007 does.