cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Automated call screening feature to block automated dialers

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you, like I, have seen a message from Magicjack that introduces their "Automated call screening" service.

What this amounts to is that any caller will be asked to dial a random digit to complete the call. If your incoming caller can't listen to the instruction and comply by dialing the digit your phone will not ring and the automated caller is blocked. This would stop most of my nuisance calls, which have become a big issue.

To me, this can be one of the best new features offered and don't see why other phone providers don't follow. Hard to imagine that a minor league provider like Magicjack can be a leading innovator. Hope others will follow or come up with something better.
26 REPLIES 26

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
Hope others will follow or come up with something better.

The "something better" would be to elect Government representatives that would get serious about this and put real TEETH in the laws that already exist to prohibit it. PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS AND IN JAIL.

Years ago, there were hardware devices that did basically the same thing that you described. Made no difference who your provider was.....as long as it looks like a "land line" once it gets inside your house. Cell phones are a different problem.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I use the "Call Control" app on our cell phones, and "NoMoRobo.com" on our VOIP pseudo landline service. We very rarely receive any spam/scam/telemarketing calls.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up with an uncle that was hard of hearing. I had gone home to visit him when he was in his 70's, and his phone rang. He didnt react, just continued telling his story. A couple rings later I thought maybe he couldn't hear it so I told him it was ringing.
He simply said I know, And then gave the best view of how to think of it that I ever heard.
He said "I put that thing in for my convenience, not someone elses."

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
I have a great system that works. With call display, if I do not recognize the caller or number I do not answer. If it is important they will leave a message and I can call them. Most robo-calls do not leave messages.
kx2
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I have Verizon for my land line. Starting a couple weeks ago, The word 'SPAM?' appears before the number or name of the caller on my phone if it is not in my contacts. So far it has been pretty accurate.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can sit right next to that box and let it ring don,t bother me . wish the wife would tell them to yank it.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dial the number of the person I want to talk to, if I have to jump through hoops to finish the call, I'll hang up. I thought operators went out of fashion 60 years ago. Thanks but no thanks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
Not answering any call you don't recognize is effective most of the time, but this system has caused me to miss calls I didn't want to miss...

Caller ID of little help, since they use software that sends any caller ID they want
I haven't found either of these scenarios to be true on my phone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
quartzster wrote:
It's not only majicjack that does that...there are many net based services that do it.

Wasn't aware if that but I don't understand why Verizon, AT&T. Spectrum and others can't do the same thing.

Not answering any call you don't recognize is effective most of the time, but this system has caused me to miss calls I didn't want to miss and redial doesn't always get you back to the specific person you need.

Caller ID of little help, since they use software that sends any caller ID they want. One of their tricks is to send a caller ID that consists of the first six digits identical to the number being called, leading one to believe this has to be someone familiar.

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
It's not only majicjack that does that...there are many net based services that do it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
As above, I ignore any call I don't recognize .. and even many I do. I hate talking on the phone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I have a great system that works. With call display, if I do not recognize the caller or number I do not answer. If it is important they will leave a message and I can call them. Most robo-calls do not leave messages.