cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best internet solution for 2018?

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to get the best mobile internet plan possible for our USA roadtrip in the lower 48 states. We'll be working part-time so we'll need it to be halfway decent. I was planning to get a hotspot and use that, but thought I should try to get a better antenna for greater range.

The last time I took a road trip was 8 years ago, back then it was nearly impossible to get reliable data by tethering my phone, and I had to rely on spotty wifi in campgrounds. I can't have that this time.

Ideally I'd like something that works even while driving, so nothing like a satellite connection via DirecTV or DishTV. I would prefer a 4G cell phone-like system that would also boost our cell phone signals.

What have you used and what would you not recommend?
32 REPLIES 32

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I set out as a full timer 7 years ago, I was often without cellphone service. The change is remarkable. Every major highway including those in the middle of nowhere Nevada is likely to have reliable cellphone coverage with no issue using it as a hot spot. I have often been amazed at the remote locations with a strong signal.

When I started out 7 years ago, I also tried to help the situation with a Wilson signal amplification system. The ads and specs sounded good but in practice it did little and when it broke I did not bother to replace it.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Cell signal availability has came a long way in the last decade, and is getting better all the time. Last summer I did a 4200 mile loop in my coach from Louisiana to Wyoming (Yellowstone, and the big solar eclipse) then back traveling through parts of TX, OK, CO, WY, NE, KS, MO, AR and back to LA. Along nearly the entire drive I streamed music over my AT&T internet connection using the SiriusXM app on my phone, and rarely would I have a signal drop out that lasted more than 15-20 miles, excluding known major cell coverage dead spots in Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons National Parks.

p.s. Out of about 34 nights on the road the only campgrounds (mix of commercial, state parks, municipal parks, forest service in the mountains outside Laramie, WY, national park and even the Kansas state fairgrounds RV park) where I did not have a functional internet connection using AT&T on my phone and my Mobley access point were the ones in Yellowstone. Though a couple were in fringe areas with marginal signal, not fast enough to support streaming media.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Verizon MiFi works good for us. I also have used daughters T Mobile phone which seems to have less data throttling than Verizon.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob