Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

MrWizard
ve been trying to contact Verizon because they cut my mobile office kit service off. I used it one summer where service was available which amounted to about 10 hours total. This past summer when I tried to use it I had no access to the internet. When I called Verizon and asked them about it they said I would have to pay a monthly fee and didn't have an explanation as to why I was cut from the service.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

more INFO please

DID you change phones or do a contract change, what phone did you use then and what phone are you trying to use now

new phones need some setting changes made before it will work,

also if you changed phones you will need to install the software drivers for the new phone , you can't use the old windows connection , it's not the same modem-phone

also QNC 'quick net' is being phased out, you will need to use the 1x backdoor, it's faster anyway.
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

hrendeavor
Explorer
Explorer
I've been trying to contact Verizon because they cut my mobile office kit service off. I used it one summer where service was available which amounted to about 10 hours total. This past summer when I tried to use it I had no access to the internet. When I called Verizon and asked them about it they said I would have to pay a monthly fee and didn't have an explanation as to why I was cut from the service.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?
Our summer home is this 02 HR Endeavor and we love it.

MoreMobile
Explorer
Explorer
Jackjagt wrote:
Communications on the road.
We solved our biggest frustration on-the-road, expensive ($3/min)cell phone plans, by going WiFi and VOIP.

Just curious, who was charging you $3 a minute for cell phone usage??

MoreMobile
Explorer
Explorer
Roadpilot wrote:
We have a Kyocera KR1 mobile router and PC650 aircard that we use with Verizon's internet access service. My wife and I both have Dell laptops with Verizon cell phones.

The aircard works great plugged into either laptop (XP), but when plugged into the KR1 it is less robust. Specifically early in the morning it works pretty well but as the morning progresses and traffic builds on the towers it starts to terminate calls. When it drops calls frequently we pull the PC650 and pop it in one of the laptops and things work great.

Does Verizon somehow know we are using the KR1 with the PC650 and assign us low priority in their system? Do they care that two laptops are sharing the bandwidth? If so are their any work arounds?

No, Verizon does not know you are using a router. However, Verizon does not like or promote the usage of a router. They have instituted a 5GB limit per month on their "unlimited" plans. Still a good bit of data, but easier to go over the more you share the signal. Sprint, on the other hand, does not have such restrictions, and is a much better choice for router usage, plus they now have a Rev A (faster) network.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
MtnDew,

Thank you for the update.

For others,
Here is a link to MtnDew's original post if you wnat to see what responses were given at the time.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

MtnDew
Explorer
Explorer
original issue: (resolved and solution listed at bottom)

My post is one where I am seeking assistance and idea's of a technical nature. Here's my story.

Equipment:
Cingular 3G PC Card modem (Sierra wireless Aircard 860),
DWL-500 pcmcia adapter card ( Ricoh R5C475 II chipset),
Dell 8300 Desktop PC with following config:
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name xxxxxxx
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 8300
System Type X86-based PC
Processorx86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3191 Mhz
Processorx86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A03, 9/19/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name xxxxxxxxx
Time Zone US Mountain Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.12 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Issue : download speeds should be ~150KB/s (Edge)and ~300 KB/s(3G)

downloading at 17-22KB/s (edge connection) (in El Paso)
downloading at 50KB/s on 3G connection (in Phoenix)

Troubleshooting performed:
1. Called Cingular support on 4 different occasions and all settings were verified to be correct.

Following troubleshooting done on my own thus far since Cingular's support didn't resolve the issue but agreed the speeds were waaay too low.....

2. deinstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the DWL-500 pcmcia adapter card.
3. Installed latest firmware for the Aircard from Sierra.
4. Installed latest version of the cingular communications manager.
5. Installed latest version of the Sierra Aircard 860 Watcher program.
6. Ordered, received and installed a replacement Aircard 860 from Cingular.

All above troubleshooting did not resolve the slow download speed.

Also ordered a new pcmcia adapter card from synchrotech which has the TI chipset on it rather than the Ricoh chipset (learned this from the cingular forums) part# ordered : PCM-CR-PC1 IC2 which I won't be able to install until we get back to Phoenix next week.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next are VERY welcome.

SOLUTION:
So I finally reformatted my HD and re-installed windows etc etc.
Now I'm downloading at respectable speeds for some reason.
๐Ÿ™‚
Also the new pcmcia adapter card from synchrotech got rid of my connection issue where I was constantly losing connection and the card would lock up forcing a reboot. This synchrotech card is definately 100% more reliable than the ricoh chipset adapter card I was using before.DWL-500)

I can't wait until Intel/Sprint comes out with WIMAX next year and roll it out over 2+ years through out the US. It's definately something that can't be rolled out soon enough! Google "WIMAX" and read up on this if your thinking of buying any type of new hardware to access the internet while on the road!

regards,
mtndew
'06 Bounder Diesel 38L
Full timers ๐Ÿ™‚

DtommyD
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a mac (3 yrs old {iBook G3 700}) and really would prefer a wifi connection when I get to where I'm going. (I don't really need it to be mobile). I guess I'm wondering if there is a solution for a router. Not directly into the computer. A router soulution. Speed while I'm on vacation is all relitive, but in a perfect world I could download video and music. Yeah I know, Way perfect world. I am currently a T-mobile guy but I'm willing to learn. I'd love a T-mobile soulution (never have had any problems with them so) but...
This will need to be solved by spring so I guess I have some time to ponder. I also don't need a dedicated account for this - just a 6-10 day a month kind of guy.
Any hot tips?
It's just for when I go camping.

computerbug
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Motorola E-815 cell phone and Alltel Axcess Data service. With this setup, Alltel charges $25 per month, and you get EVDO support which runs up to 800 kbps speed, which is about half the DSL speed I have at home. Works fine and is plenty fast enough to even download software updates/patches from Microsoft, etc. Requires a Motorola patch cord to attach the phone, but the price and speed are great. They also allow you to roam to other providers towers with no additional charge, although sometimes it cannot connect at EVDO speeds but it is still about 2x as fast as dialup. If you get this setup, do not install the Internet performance enhancement software on the CD. It actually slows EVDO to a crawl.

MrWizard
new LG9900 "enV" works on 1xRTT, heeehaw
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jbman
Explorer
Explorer
I use a sprint aircard to get online, its awesome 60 bucks a month unlimited use

MrWizard
my 8100 music kit, came with a cable that lets me plug the charger into the cable while it's connected to the PC, (a charge port is built into the cable )

cables that charge the phone while plugged into the PC usb port are available for some phones from 3rd party STORES and websites, check radio shack
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Russandyutah
Explorer
Explorer
Question is there a y splitter so that you can connect power and still be on the USB port. I have verzion and I have there software and the cable.

Jackjagt
Explorer
Explorer
Communications on the road.
We solved our biggest frustration on-the-road, expensive ($3/min)cell phone plans, by going WiFi and VOIP.
Our computer has built in WiFi, we signed up for Skype (the most advanced service) VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocal) telephone, with a cheap prepaid "Skypeout" card for calling regular land line telephones anywhere in the world. (Computer to computer calls are free).
We stop and camp only at locations that offer free WiFi access (more & more campgrounds are offering this because it's cheap for them and lots of RVers like us will ONLY go where open WiFi is available).
We still have a cell phone but use it less.
Life's a Trip!
Greyhead & a cute Brunette
07 Safari Cheetah 36PPD
02 red VW Jetta TDI toad
FMCA F226315,
Ontario OverLanders
Michigan Knights
Skype "merrieyacht'

MrWizard
also some phones, such as my LG 8100 from verizon, have PC connection speed settings in the phone setup menus
----speed on the wireless card is determined by cingular tower and out of my control.
if these are set to 19k or 34k , it is NOT possible to get full high speed NO matter what the other software is set too
----not an analog modem where you can control these settings.

I use a verizon cellphone and i have used & setup verizon aircards

windows treats them like any other modem, in modem properties you can change the BAUD rate / speed, if it is NOT at max you will not get max speed

and with the Verizon digital products, (cell phones & aircards )( especially cellphones ) there are menus for PC connections and the speed for those connections

cingular GSM & edge are different technology, than Verizon's CDMA & EV-DO but there should be diagnostic or setting software available for it

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50

here is a link for forum about 'cingular aircards smart phones' good look

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=337
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MtnDew
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
have you tried any of the internet connection tweaking programs , such as

'cable nut' 'tcip optimizer' 'internet tweak 2000' etc..
----Have not done this....

on some computers they can make a difference..

is it possible to change the speed settings of the interface? USB ? that connects the adapter box to the laptop
---Is not a laptop, it's a desktop and aircard plugs into a pcmcia adaptercard (dwl-500)
and have you compared your setup to anybody using a cingular cellphone cable to their laptop, working from the same location as you..
----Was able to try this on daughters laptop and see same results.

if possible I would try out their phone on your PC and let them try your card adapter system on their PC
----not using a phone...it's a wireless aircard and tried it in my daughters pc with same results.

also some phones, such as my LG 8100 from verizon, have PC connection speed settings in the phone setup menus
----speed on the wireless card is determined by cingular tower and out of my control.
if these are set to 19k or 34k , it is NOT possible to get full high speed NO matter what the other software is set too
----not an analog modem where you can control these settings.

check the software setups for the aircard itself, NOT just the windows modems settings,
----software settings were validated on 4 different occasions by the cingular support folks

do you have management and setup program for the aircard ?
NOT the connection program..
---no there is no setup program for the aircard. after drivers are installed it's pretty much just "plug 'n pray"
'06 Bounder Diesel 38L
Full timers ๐Ÿ™‚