Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

MrWizard
you could try 'internet connection sharing' this requires either a cable OR an 'ad hoc' wifi connection between your laptop and the wifes

there are people here that have done it, I am not one of them
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fulltimemartins
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about a router, but at this point I don't want to give up my bb. I do use it quite a bit also, when we are out of the rv and in our tow vehicle, I can use my mapping program on it, plus all the other feature. Thanks for the answer though. ๐Ÿ™‚

MrWizard
no, but you can a wifi router that accepts the aircard and fuctions as the access point allowing you to connect (2) or more PC's via wifi to the router the router makes the cell connection to the internet ( vzw isp )

so one account works with mulitple PC's

the question is do you want to give up the BB and just use an aircard ?
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fulltimemartins
Explorer
Explorer
I have a blackberry with verizon data plan that I tether to my laptop. The unlimited data plan is $59.99 and the voice plan is just the extra $10.00 for it being a 2nd phone. All together my verizon bill is $135.00 a month. Now being that I am a fulltimer, I know it is alot, but it is the cost of a phone and internet for me. My question...I have asked verizon about giving a break on a data card (I have 2 computers) and that way both of us could be online at the same time. They have told me no, so if I got the pc card and the plan again it would add another $59.99 to my bill, which I am not willing to do. Long way to get around to this question and I apologize for that, but the question is does anyone know if any of the other carriers would include or give a break on 2 data plans?

Thanks...

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
That Sprint offer expired nearly a month ago.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

Zurk
Explorer
Explorer
go to sprint.com/sero and user enternow@sprint.com ....you may be surprised at the rates.

savings@sprintemi.com -- not yet expired.

MrWizard
nanadean wrote:
I purchased the Axcess Altel plan, when I tried to hookup I got an error message saying I need to update to Microsoft 98 or earlier. I have vista and was told by 2 people at Alltel that it would work. Now what are my options to have wireless internet (high speed) without going thru my satelite.

more info needed

are you using a phone or an aircard, which model of the device ?

you may need to install just the driver for the device, then

create the connection setup in windows under networking / dialup connections
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

nanadean
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the Axcess Altel plan, when I tried to hookup I got an error message saying I need to update to Microsoft 98 or earlier. I have vista and was told by 2 people at Alltel that it would work. Now what are my options to have wireless internet (high speed) without going thru my satelite.
Dean and Darrell
2006 Rockwood Roo 233
2007 Toyota Tundra (His)
2002 Trailblazer EXT (Hers)
Proud Parents and Grandparents
Lazy Shih Tzu (Gizmo who camps with us)
Black Lab (Sadie, who stays home and guards the homefront)

MrWizard
grizzly, you got lucky, you won't find a cheaper rate with any other carrier,

sounds like ( at the moment ) you are using the 1x network, ( same as the 1x back door on verizon )

but if you get the EvDO broadband speed for $25, it will be an 'un paralleled DEAL', good luck

the E815 is good phone, i don't know if it's EvDo broadband speed, but if it it is that will be great
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
testing posted via Moto Q without the laptop
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Grizzly128
Explorer
Explorer
Not really versed in this subject and I haven't read all the pages in this forum so maybe this info is already here but here goes anyway:
I have a Motorola E815 cell phone with a plan through Alltel. I need internet service for a limited time this winter while snowbirding (first time). Alltel tethered my cell phone to my laptop, software (Motorola Phone Tools) $50.00 and they installed it, it included the data cable. For $25.00 a month I can access the internet where ever I have cell phone reception. The speed is currently (in this area) approx twice that of dial up, expected to upgrade to DSL speed late this year, all ready there in some areas of the states. Unlimited use, not charged against my cell phone minutes, flat $25.00 a month, no contract, turned on and off as desired. I have it turned on for right now trying it out, so far works well. Will turn it off at the end of this first month, turn it back on when we leave later this year. If this works as they have explained it to me, sounds better than anything I've read here...time will tell. Gladly answer any questions I can, will post if this doesn't work out.

MrWizard
cross post

just activated a new moto Q9m on vzw, complete with full tethering $59.99 month OUCH ( early birthday present arrived thurs, activated today Bday tommorrow )

I will be trying it out both as pocketPC with internet access and as a BB connection for my laptop, i'm using the connection right now.

i sit it up with & with out access manager so i can compare

there is NO backdoor with phone, you have to have a data plan, or ALL data is charge by the KB or is blocked

those are the choices pay as you go per KB very expensive

or data plan

you can choose pay per, then have data blocked, there will be no charges and NO internet connection of any kind

I went with the full data plan plus tethering

PDA data plan is $44.99 tethering access is $15 more

i'll keep you posted on how well it works , and how I think it compares to a aircard.

Connected via Verizon Via the moto Q and BB access
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Want2be
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you who responded to my question of internet service while on the road. This is such a great site for me because all of you seasoned rvers have such a vast knowledge of most every subject applying to rving. I am sure I will have to tap into your experience again. Thank goodness for this site!!!!!

jim91303
Explorer
Explorer
verizon has a SB card for laptops and notebooks. $50 for the card and software, $60 per month service unlimmited connection. works on all signals... no roaming. no cables needed. works good, infact i'm on it now.

MrWizard
you will not get help from VERizon UNLESS you are paying for a data plan.

they will not help you tether, to the backdoor, NOT anymore, several years ago they would, but the help policy has been changed, since they want to sell data plans
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s