Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

DA_INFERNO
Explorer
Explorer
Copter I use a AT&T wireless card. It works great. At Pismo it only works where you would get a signal w/ your phone. Not sure on the other stuff you asked about. LOL.
06 LBZ 2500HD W/ 8" NCT LIFT AND A LOT OF EXTRAS
07 3305 WEEKEND WARRIOR
08 Polaris RZR
LTZ 250
PREDATOR 90
SCRAMBLER

TRUCK PICTURES
SOME TRAILER PICTURES

copter
Explorer
Explorer
I've read some of the posts and I don't think my question has been answered.... Can I connect my laptop via bluetooth to access AT&T dial-up? I have a Sony Ericcson and know I'll need to download the Sony Ericsson Mobile Networking Wizard but will I be charged per kb or just as a voice call?
06 GRAYSTONE LBZ | MBRP 4" TURBO BACK | NOR*CALTRUCK 4-6 LIFT | AMP STEPS | 4300k HID'S | KMC DIESELS
06 COACHMEN ADRENALINE 314FS TOY HAULER | CLEAR LEDS | A&E POWER AWNING | ON BOARD AIR
05 HONDA 450R & HONDA 400EX

MrWizard
Montana Ultra Runner wrote:
The knowlegable tech at Verizon led me to the correct website (vzam.net) which is the VZAccess Manager Webpage. I downloaded and installed the drivers for Vista and my LG8300.

I still can't connect, so I will call Verizon to see about the VCast Plan, or I may just go for the $59.99 data plan. We only use this service three months in the summer when we're on the road. While at home we have DSL.

Thanks again Mr. W.

MrWizard wrote:
. . . to the OP, you need to unistall the MOK, manually install the drivers from the CD and create your own dial up connection on the PC, but this is only good for a few more weeks.

or you can goto the verzion B2B 'buisness' webiste and look for the vista compatible DL music kit, you just need good drivers and a manul connection

with the data plan, vzw will help you step by step and make sure it works, also you will be using the same BB evdo high speed network as the aircard and you can use it for 3 months then turn it off until the next time you need it ( because on the phones voice plan it is a FEATURE and does not require a contract, you already have a contract )

verizon will NOT help you if you try to use the Vcast plan with the PC, when talking to them about the Vcast plan do not mention the PC

once this feature is added to your account verify it by using it to get the news and weather on the phone.

then put the phone in 1x mode, and try the PC hook up.

i have already added this to my account, my 1x is still working but it is not yet nov, the connection should work, its the billing i am wondering about.

verizon is not saying the 1x will not work, they are sating we will be billed by the mega byte of data, testing the Vcast is my way to find out if it will slip under the radar for use with out PER MB billing.
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Montana_Ultra_R
Explorer
Explorer
The knowlegable tech at Verizon led me to the correct website (vzam.net) which is the VZAccess Manager Webpage. I downloaded and installed the drivers for Vista and my LG8300.

I still can't connect, so I will call Verizon to see about the VCast Plan, or I may just go for the $59.99 data plan. We only use this service three months in the summer when we're on the road. While at home we have DSL.

Thanks again Mr. W.

MrWizard wrote:
. . . to the OP, you need to unistall the MOK, manually install the drivers from the CD and create your own dial up connection on the PC, but this is only good for a few more weeks.

or you can goto the verzion B2B 'buisness' webiste and look for the vista compatible DL music kit, you just need good drivers and a manul connection
MUR

MrWizard
actually we are all in trouble...i'm going to post his here and make a new post

AFAIK nov first starts new billing system vzw.. the 1x backdoor and Minutes will be gone.

we will need an active data plan of 'SOME KIND' OR PAY $1.99mb

if you have a Vcast phone 8100 8300 etc razr kzr etcc you should be able the $15 Vcast plan and continue to sneak thru the back door, NO more FREE backdor using minutes

OR you can the $59.99 data plan

as of NOV 1st all data useage on accounts that do NOT have some kind of data plan ( to account for useage ) are going to billed by the mb

this has nothing to do with sending pix msg, or txt msg or using vzw authroize services, the billing is for unaccountedable data going to and from the phone.

to the OP, you need to unistall the MOK, manually install the drivers from the CD and create your own dial up connection on the PC, but this is only good for a few more weeks.

I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Montana_Ultra_R
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar problem. I've been using the "back door" method since 2003. I recently purchased a new LG8300, and it kept right on working even though Verizon told me it wouldn't (thanks to Mr. Wizard's detailed instructions).

I just purchased a new Vista computer and tried installing the MOK software. It wouldn't install, said I needed a newer version of Windows (newer than Windows 98). Well, Vista IS newer than 98, duh. I ended up calling Verizon and after 45 minutes on the phone we got the MOK installed. I'm able to "initate" a connection but I get an error message right away and don't get the connection.

The Verizon tech, advised me that I'll have to sign up for Verizon Broadband Service and pay the $59.99 per month fee.

Is that correct or is there something else I can do?

Jbird wrote:
I have been using Verizon 1X ("back door" I guess) with an Audiovox/Mobile Office Kit for several years. Recently I upgraded/renewed my plan and acquired an LG8300. I tried the Broadband/National Access for a few weeks with an aircard,but was unhappy with the speed in marginal signal areas so I discontinued it, reactivated my old phone and went back to 1X.
In ignorance I then purchased a Mobile Office Kit for the 8300 thinking I could reactivate the 8300 and just continue the 1X access. Reading the recent posts it sounds like I won't be able to access 1x back door with the new phone/mobile office kit-----or are some of the earlier posts,,e.g. the very detailed instructions from Mr Wizard relevant to my problem? In short, can I reactivate my 8300, install the Mobile Office Kit, and get 1X free???
MUR

MrWizard
yes there are several 'aircard routers' on the market

the aircard goes in the router the router has wifi, the laptop connects to the router via wifi

your own home/rv network/wifi hot spot.

there is info is this thread and also other post here in the technology forum
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
t/c hobo,

This thread is really about using a cell phone as the connection between a computer and the Internet. Since you are wanting information about air cards, you would be better served with starting a new thread or finding one of the extisting threads that deal with air cards and routers. Here is a list of more than 300 posts that deal with using routers and air cards.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

t_c_hobo
Explorer
Explorer
I HAVE TWO LAP TOPS AND ONE AIR CARD FROM VERIZON
IN THE CAMPER THE WIFES LAP TOP HAS THE AIR CARD
I LIKE TO BE ABLE TO USED MINE AT THE SAME TIME
IS THERE A WAY TO DO THIS WITHOUT BUYING A SECOND
CARD AND IF SO WERE CAN I GET THE UNIT THANK YOU

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Wizard---THANKS. I gather these are your earlier detailed instructions. MANY MANY THANKs!!
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

MrWizard
yes you can use the 1x backdoor with your 8300, just follow the instructions for putting your phone into '1x Only' mode/network

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15038442/gotomsg/18594092.cfm#1859...
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Verizon 1X ("back door" I guess) with an Audiovox/Mobile Office Kit for several years. Recently I upgraded/renewed my plan and acquired an LG8300. I tried the Broadband/National Access for a few weeks with an aircard,but was unhappy with the speed in marginal signal areas so I discontinued it, reactivated my old phone and went back to 1X.
In ignorance I then purchased a Mobile Office Kit for the 8300 thinking I could reactivate the 8300 and just continue the 1X access. Reading the recent posts it sounds like I won't be able to access 1x back door with the new phone/mobile office kit-----or are some of the earlier posts,,e.g. the very detailed instructions from Mr Wizard relevant to my problem? In short, can I reactivate my 8300, install the Mobile Office Kit, and get 1X free???
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

gypsyhounds
Explorer
Explorer
It worked at home, then at a camp ground ,in a town, it did not, so I thought a non data area, but once home the same error.
I will recheck the menu settings to see if it has changed soemhow.

MrWizard
check your settings in the phone menus. make sure you are still in 1x only mode

if you have done a *228, or other OTA programing, the network selection gets reset to default

are you in the same area ? working one day NOT working the next day ?

could be trouble with the tower, or have you moved ? you could be in a NON-data extended area.
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

gypsyhounds
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Wizard!mHelp!
Verizon lg 3800 was working for many months now I get this error message.
734 pp link control was terminated.
What to do? Using the 1x backdoor method.
Thanks