Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

AlexSian
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
yes the speed of the BB tether should be the same as the aircard

maybe in 1xrtt areas, but there is no way a tethered blackberry will be the same speed as a Rev-A aircard since blackberrys are all Rev-0.

Rev-A data devices will especially leave any blackberry in the dust when it comes to uploading/sending files. Rev-0 has hardware limit of 150kbps upload, and Rev-A has no such hardware limit... with many people seeing 800+ kbps upload.

for instance: http://evdomaps.com/Fastest+Uploads
miscellaneous tech ramblings @ http://alexsian.com

MrWizard
any rep that told $60 MORE is mistaken, it will cost $15 more for the tethering addon, and yes the speed of the BB tether should be the same as the aircard

I used the NEW HTC touch for 3 weeks, with the $45 PDA plan and tethering add on, and it was very quick, much faster than a Phone using the 1x back door
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

shoals42
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Wizard,

I have the $45BES plan with my blackberry, It is the unlimited plan (when they offered it back in Aug. 07) though the rep has said it is still capped at 5gigs monthly. I don't use that now, though with my direct access platform I may be close when on the road....anyway

Is the speed and transfer rate the same as a air card, using the blackberry thethered? I talked to a rep about a month ago and they said to activate the thethered feature it was an additional $60 monthly on top of what I currently pay for data (I think thats what he said.)???? I will have to call later and confirm

Oregon,

I looked at the card because it was "free" with a 2 yr contract. Though I don't need it for 2 yrs...and 120 for a year is still more time than I need, so I am torn. though I am thinking now it may be better to just tether it, and it will be less overall. Verizon is my favorite so I will stick with them.

Thanks again for all your reponses...I will be looking for more info soon.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 30ft C Class
92w solar / 2 6v U2200s
EU2000i
Trying to live the dream while we are young!!!
Young and in Love
Rob / Melany :B

MrWizard
shoals42 wrote:
I have been reading and there is a lot of info...though I have not seen how to use a blackberry on Verizon's network without having to tether it and pay an additional $60 per month. Actually I don't care if I have to tether it but I just don't want to pay MORE $$$ for internet when the blackberry already has it.

The blackberry already comes with a full unlimited data plan but when I called to find out how to make it work with my laptop, the CS rep. eluded to the fact there are ways to make it work without paying an additional amount monthly.

I really need the internet on the road via laptop, I trade stocks and options daily, so it would really be a HUGE HELP, and let me extend our trips... We are planing on a 2-3month trip this summer.

I have the blackberry 8830 world phone, anyone know what I need to do?

which BB plan do you have the $45 pda/BES plan ? tethering will cost $15 more = $60 total, and you can remove the tether feature when you get home

if you have the NEWer $29.99 BB email & web plan, then the tethering charge is $30, total = $60, again you can remove it when you stop traveling

since you have a BB you must have some kind of data plan, you cannot get a BB on vzw without a data plan,

it is NOT $60 more, and an aircard will require a contract with $60 a month plus the extra taxes & fees that go with extra phone number

you trade stocks, any addition to your cell phone/BB bill is a business expense

there is NO hack for tethering a BB without paying, the BB OS is very very secure

yes 'pay as you go' is a data plan.. and if you are pauo then you must switch to a regular plan with tethering option, $60 total, the BB can not sneak in the 1x backdoor, this has to do with having a BB and the account required and the fact that the BB OS is not hackable by the avg or even above avg user
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

oregonrv2007
Explorer
Explorer
One more note...a friend of mine is going through this whole process right now...leaving on a 6 month road trip with a 5th wheel. Apparently Verizon is offering a free air card on a 2 year agreement, or you pay $120 for the card, and that lowers it to a one year agreement. At the same time, you can "suspend" your account for $5.99 per month, up to six months at a time. Just keep in mind when you do this, it pauses your contract term...so beware!

oregonrv2007
Explorer
Explorer
shoals42 wrote:
Oregon,

Thanks, for the info, I have already though about just dealing with it and taking a $60 monthly hit, via an air card. I think that will be the best thing to do. I have Verizon currently, I have been told it is one of the better services, (though I am thniking everyone may disagree and like theirs the best....) I am planning on going from S. Cal to Oregon to Idaho, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Az. (Mostly National Parks)

What would be best? I like Verizon as it is.

Stick with Verizon for a data card. Sprint claims they have more high speed towers lit up, but as a whole, they are lacking on data coverage. Verizon seems to have done a good job of building out metro and rural areas. In other words, while Sprint may have more miles covered with high speed access, Verizon has more miles covered period. I guess I would rather have some access (even if it is slower) than no access at all.

Hope this helps! By the way, I'd advise not considering AT&T, as their data coverage is dwarfed by Sprint and Verizon. Happy trails!

shoals42
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon,

Thanks, for the info, I have already though about just dealing with it and taking a $60 monthly hit, via an air card. I think that will be the best thing to do. I have Verizon currently, I have been told it is one of the better services, (though I am thniking everyone may disagree and like theirs the best....) I am planning on going from S. Cal to Oregon to Idaho, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Az. (Mostly National Parks)

What would be best? I like Verizon as it is.
92w solar / 2 6v U2200s
EU2000i
Young and in Love

oregonrv2007
Explorer
Explorer
To Shoals...I have the 8830 World Phone through Sprint and ran into the same issues...have to pay more per month. I just bit the bullet and bought a separate card, and also a kit from these guys www.wifiinmotion.com

I'm glad I did it. Eventhough I'm paying another $59.99 per month, I am definetely getting a return on my investment of both the card and the kit.

Just pencil it out and see how much money you potentially lose when you aren't connected, and see if it is worth the extra $$$. Hope that helps!

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
shoals42 wrote:

Try google - lots of people seem to do it:

Click here for an example

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

shoals42
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading and there is a lot of info...though I have not seen how to use a blackberry on Verizon's network without having to tether it and pay an additional $60 per month. Actually I don't care if I have to tether it but I just don't want to pay MORE $$$ for internet when the blackberry already has it.

The blackberry already comes with a full unlimited data plan but when I called to find out how to make it work with my laptop, the CS rep. eluded to the fact there are ways to make it work without paying an additional amount monthly.

I really need the internet on the road via laptop, I trade stocks and options daily, so it would really be a HUGE HELP, and let me extend our trips... We are planing on a 2-3month trip this summer.

92w solar / 2 6v U2200s
EU2000i
Young and in Love

MrWizard
'historically' verizon has honored the plans of the 'new acquired' customers

you are not forced to change anything,

but when your plan is up, any new discounted phones will come with new contracts

you can usually keep your current phone and plan as long as you want. its only when you accept 'new' offerings that your contract changes.
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Anthony21403
Explorer
Explorer
well, looks like I will be joining all you on Verizon due to the new merger with Alltel. So what can I expect with my plan I have now? Will it go away, or will they honor it? something I am not looking forward to.
MSG Tony, USAF, 20+ years
Back from my 6 month "Summer in the Sand" Vacation

RandD
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,

You can not add VCast. You need to add Broadband Access Connect to tether your phone to your PC or router for Internet access. VCast is only for the phones browser - if you can call it a browser. I use my LG VX8300 with a Cradlepoint MBR1000 router/WiFi access point for broadband access in the MH and it works quite nicely if you can get past the monthly cost for broadband service, but they will pro-rate service on a daily basis.

Mike Schriber wrote:
Good point. I think I'll add VCAST today and see what happens. I can always cancel it.

Thanks!

Mike

Randy & Diane

WB5TEY

'05 Lexington 255DS with '06 Chevy HHR following close behind

MrWizard
how much are you going to use this ?

weekends ? once a month. vacation

NW plan same as you pay now + $15 vpak/vcast is what i'm on and works

or you can just add & remove the data feature, it will prorate at $2 a day ?

for occasion use only, calling cs turn on data, use 2-3 days call in turn off will be your best option
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
No dice. I added VCAST and I still get the broadband page.

Any other options or is the party over?

Mike
2006 Damon Daybreak 3276 37' bunkhouse