Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

daytona7
Explorer
Explorer
Is the old way possible with T-Mobile using a RIZR phone? Also would the program from a RAZR work with the RIZR? One last question. Which would be better, USB wired to the PC or USB Bluetooth on the PC? Have to use the old desktop for a while while on the road.

MrWizard
Pacers wrote:
HI, I just found this forum. I will make this as short as possible. Verizon customer, previously used my cell phone with usb cord and laptop to connect to internet using after nine and weekend (free minutes). Phone broke, no replacement, ordered new Razor phone. Verizon said I could not connect as I previously did and had to use wireless card and now it is over one hundred dollars a month. Am I understanding the posts that the "old way" is still possible? Thanks, Jan

DID you change your PLAN ? to get a discount phone, or did you outright buy a new phone and stay on AMC plan, this PLAN difference, the old AMC or the NW dictates, what you can & can't do, and how you get billed

the Razor can work the old way, ALL verizon reps are TOLD/ordered to say that the data plans and air cards are the only way to connect.

the OLD backdoor is NOT condoned by vzw, technically it is against your TOS ( terms of service ) agreement, on AMC plans

on the new plans , the Nation wide plan they don't care too much, because they are billing by the MB, a $1.99 per MB and that adds up real fast

there is way around that to, but it involves paying $15 a month for vcast Vpak..

IF you switched your plan, the FREE night minute internet is GONE, all data is billed by the MB on the NationWide plans, unless there is a mobile data $15 vpak, or tethered data $59 on your account

the $15 will let you get away with the 1x backdoor, unlimted even during the day, as long as you stay on 1x, and don't talk to the reps about it, it shows on the bill as mobile use
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
folkie wrote:
hope this help clear up some of the misunderstanding.

Kind of... except for the part about:

Monthly fees are $59.99 for unlimited Internet connection nation wide. and ... there is a limit of 5 gig/month data capacity.

Kind of a contradiction in terms eh? :W

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

folkie
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Circuit City today, and talking to the Verizon Guy, not 'thee Verizon guy' but I know this one was of some authority because his name badge said Verizon.

Here's the scoop, There is a sale on right now you can purchase the USB Air Card for $50 and there is currently a $50 rebate conditional to a two year contract.
Monthly fees are $59.99 for unlimited Internet connection nation wide. This would be wherever you get cellular signal. there is a limit of 5 gig/month data capacity , if you should exceed that they may narrow or limit your capacity to keep you below the magic 5 gig per month. Apparently watching movies 24-7 will get you to 5 gig of monthly data flow quickly.
So watching episodes of Lost on the laptop is just going to have to go honey......sorry.

You will get service (Internet connection) everywhere Verizon or US Cellular have cell phone coverage. The major cities and ALL of Florida (for some reason) have super fast Broadband Access over your Air Card connection, then out on the highway your speed will slow down when you are on National Enhanced Service.
The lowest level of service (most of Northern Maine) you will get what is called Extended National Enhanced Service and by this time you are solely relying on Cellphone signal's, if you are not in a Verizon service area you will bounce off US Cellular towers without any roaming charges. At this lowest service level your connection speed will be approximately 2-3 times faster than your old dial up connection.

hope this help clear up some of the misunderstanding.

Pacers
Explorer
Explorer
HI, I just found this forum. I will make this as short as possible. Verizon customer, previously used my cell phone with usb cord and laptop to connect to internet using after nine and weekend (free minutes). Phone broke, no replacement, ordered new Razor phone. Verizon said I could not connect as I previously did and had to use wireless card and now it is over one hundred dollars a month. Am I understanding the posts that the "old way" is still possible? Thanks, Jan

MrWizard
with Tmobile, verizon or att data connections, the cellphone carrier IS the ISP, no other ISP is needed,

IF you have a HOME isp dsl cable dialup etc,, you can still get your email thru web access just goto the web page an login
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

folkie
Explorer
Explorer
All the diferent ways to get online aside, do you still need an ISP?

For example using T-Mobile unlimited data as mentioned earlier, whom provides the internet connection proper?

MrWizard
100 mb is not much by my standards

in my opinion, it would allow you some text only email, no pictures , no websurfing

you need satellite or an internet cafe
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

StandByYourVan
Explorer
Explorer
I am contemplating going the cell phone internet or a cell phone aircard for my mac laptop.

I spend much of the year in Mexico though. ATT has international plans that include up to 100MB of Data transfer.

I'm not sure whether this would be sufficient or not.
1989 converted ambulance. Almost all of the bells and whistles.

TConn
Explorer
Explorer
A fine solution to not tie up your cell phone is to purchase an AirCard and appropriate data plan. Many of the vendors have this available. This simply plugs into the PCMCIA port on your laptop. There are also USB models available. Many of these also take advantage of the new EVDO REV-a and 3G boradband connections. This offers superior performance over cellphones except the most recent models. I find it handy while navigating to talk with a campground while viewing via google maps or their web site.

MrWizard
verizon will keep you covered in most of the US, BUT Canada is a different story, that roaming, and data roaming 'if it works' is going to cost some hefty bucks

you would come out better on coverage monthly charges by using satellite internet
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

deciding
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I've read everything on this thread on hooking up and am ready to get started. I've got a Mac book pro laptop and am shopping for a wireless provider and plan. We travel all over the USA and Canada in a motorhome. What would be our best bet to stay in touch as far as equipment and service provider? Speed is a secondary consideration, coverage being # 1. Something in a cell type connection,air card, external antenna, amplifier, etc. Thanks.

sunnyvalesmostw
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone aware of any internet plans available to us up here in canada???
2008 Keystone Everest 348R
2005 F350 Crew Cab XLT Longbox 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke
Wonderful wife, son (12), daughter (4), son (new baby)

RustyH
Explorer
Explorer
Before you chose any carrier, especially due to cost of the service, check and make sure they have coverage in the area that you normally hang out. Some carriers are much better than others on coverage. Most carriers have maps that show actual coverage. Look closely at the maps to make sure they are not showing "proposed" coverage.
Rusty and Pam Hemenway

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
astalavistababy wrote:
We use T-mobile. The phone serves as dial up connection connected to the laptop via USB cable. I am in cyberspace heaven. Our calling plan costs me $ 29.95 nationwide coverage + $ 19.95 for the Internet plan with unlimited access. We pay bills, research destinations............

astalavistababy

Do you need a certain model to do this, is it hard to setup, how fast is it. I have been on the fence trying to figure out what I should do to connect to the internet, this actually sounds like a good deal. My Sprint cel contract is up at the end of January, 2008.

Thanks, r0n :h