Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

Tech1
Explorer
Explorer
I am moving from AT&T to Verizon at the end of December. Because I will be traveling all 48 in MH, Verizon suggested I use a Tri Mode phone. Any suggestions on the one to get would be appreciated. In addition can they be tethered as well to connect to internet. I am moving from a Palm 650 to something simple......got a new iPod Touch and with the new updates it has become my calendar as well.

MrWizard
there are a lot of pocket PDA/smartphones, i tried one, thought i would like it, turns out , I did not like it.

if you want a flip style look at the lg 8600 and maybe the lg 8700

the 9900 doesn't do any thing more than the other DUMB phones, it just has a better camera and a keyboard,

I don't text, but that keyboard makes typing in names & numbers for tha phone book list a real breeze and in a pinch i can read my gmail on it

my NEW Voyager phone came monday, and i'm testing that right now, it goes on sale wed, NOT cheap $469 retail, $299 after rebates with a NEW 2yr contract

think iphone meets verizon, it has touch screen and the keyboard and the 2megapixel autofocus camera. the screen and web browser do NOT duplicate all of the iphone functions 'no pinching' the screen to shrink, but it does shrink and zoom and do full html

anyway thats slightly off topic

check out the LG flips at verizon,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at some of your pics, and I think a traditional flip phone is what we would want...it looks like they are getting away from this towards mini computers.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

MrWizard
what type of phone do you like, bar or flip/clam shell

what type of keypad do you like real buttons like the 3300 or flat membrane like the Razor

for reception and call quality my ranking

motorola e815 ( no longer offered )

LG 9900 enV great phone, some people think its to big

LG 8100 great flip phone, good displays, no longer offered

the NEW LG phones Venus LG 8800 and the Voyager LG 10000, come out this week

pelimary testers say they both have great call quality, and can be used to cable to the PC for the internet

I'm expecting to get my hands on My voyager monday

almost all new phones EXCEPT the samsung JUKE music phone, can be used to connect to the internet via the $60 data plan

and many new phones have the slick membrane style keypad

i've always had good luck with the LG phones, the 9900 has the best RF connection of any phone i have owned, and possibly the best of any of the current models,

despite the dancing TV commercials the juke is a great little phone for phone calls, BUT it has NO internet-pc connection ability

to sum it up

lg9900 great phone, LG 8700 good phone, lg 10000 should be a great phone, but won't know until i test it

or find a new in the box unused moto e815 someplace or NIB lg 8100

all NEW contracts are on the NEW NationWide plans

data options

add $60 data option for tethering your PC

use $15 data option for mobile web on the phone ( and 1x web with the PC, but don't tell verizon,phone must be on 1x )

use NO option and pay $1.99 for every MB of data , could get very expensive. 1 hr of browsing RV.net is 2mb
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Wizard,

A while back I tried w/ no success to get our Verizon LG VX3300 phone to work as a modem tethered to our Gateway laptop. We are under no contract now, and could get a new Verizon phone that would work be easier and more powerful to use as a modem and we would now be expecting to use the $60/mo data option while on trips.

I was wondering what you might recommend for a Verizon phone. We like things simple, but a phone with good reliability and strong reception, easy to setup w/ Gateway, and good battery life would be important.

Our Gateway has 512 MB memory, runs Windows XP Home Edition, has USB 2.0 ports and a PCMCIA slot for one Type II PC Card.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

AlexSian
Explorer
Explorer
First this
Jim McMurray wrote:
IAircards work as follows;
It will work from approx. 72kb to 960kb transfer rate anywhere you can use your cell phone. it will work at 1meg to 1.5 meg only when you are near a repeater station which has additional equipmemt on it specific for High Speed DSL . these to date are only installed in a few major cities. more comming. unless you intend to "LIVE" on the internet and upload and download files all day - no booster and no router.

And then this.
Jim McMurray wrote:
Brands other than the Sprint 595U do not work with both cell signals and broadband. some only work with 192k or less on cell freq. and others like Verizon only work on Broadband and there are hardly any broadband towers except in the MAJOR CITIES.

Jim, what are you basing the information that i've underlined from?
Much of what you're saying contradicts the reality that others have experienced.
miscellaneous tech ramblings @ http://alexsian.com

Jim_McMurray
Explorer
Explorer
Brands other than the Sprint 595U do not work with both cell signals and broadband. some only work with 192k or less on cell freq. and others like Verizon on ly work on Broadband and there are hardly any broadband towers except in the MAJOR CITIES. They wont tell you this. I first bought Verizon and had to take it back. wouldn't even work in El Paso or Las Cruces.
Nu-Wa 2006 34' Hitchhiker Discover America Luxury Suite
3 slide, king bed, 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Laramie 5.9 Diesel, 8' bed. w\ 55gal additional fuel tank (92gal.)total.

Jim_McMurray
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Sprint AirCard 595U. it works fine. you do not need a router for mega$$$$ or the booster antenna for more than $200.

Aircards work as follows;

It will work from approx. 72kb to 960kb transfer rate anywhere you can use your cell phone. it will work at 1meg to 1.5 meg only when you are near a repeater station which has additional equipmemt on it specific for High Speed DSL. these to date are only installed in a few major cities. more comming. unless you intend to "LIVE" on the internet and upload and download files all day - no booster and no router.
Nu-Wa 2006 34' Hitchhiker Discover America Luxury Suite
3 slide, king bed, 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Laramie 5.9 Diesel, 8' bed. w\ 55gal additional fuel tank (92gal.)total.

Danzrebel
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking for a system that will allow me to use my laptop online and extend my cell phone coverage. After talking to sales at the 3Gstore , this is what they recommend. Sierra aircard 595, omni ext ant (wilson) and a MB6000 router. They explained this would be all I would need. An adaptor for cell phone also would increase my coverage for phone. Any advise would be appreciated. Going full time summer 08.
Dan & Bonnie Legends 31RE3SLF
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gas

Everyone has photographic memory, some just don't have the film!

Odessa_Grandma
Explorer
Explorer
Just went to the Sprint website and downloaded an update for my wireless card that enables the GPS feature. It was free and it works well. Kind of scary isn't it - that something so small can pinpoint .
your location from space?:E
Grandma and Grandpa
MO
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 21FBRS
2015 Dodge Ram 1500

Odessa_Grandma
Explorer
Explorer
I have Sprint Broadband and it works well. Just looked at the cost of Microsoft Streets and Trips - $99.00. Is there any other GPS programs that work with Sprint Broadband. Just spent $200.00 for the wireless card and would love to use the GPS feature.

Thanks
Grandma and Grandpa
MO
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 21FBRS
2015 Dodge Ram 1500

MrWizard
I will let you know when i get the NOV statement, how it is billed

the due this week will be m OCT statement
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Montana_Ultra_R
Explorer
Explorer
On 10/10/2007 Mr. Wizard wrote wrote:
i have already added this (Vcast) to my account, my 1x is still working but it is not yet nov, the connection should work, its the billing i am wondering about.

verizon is not saying the 1x will not work, they are stating we will be billed by the mega byte of data, testing the Vcast is my way to find out if it will slip under the radar for use with out PER MB billing.

You are testing the Vcast, can you let us know how you are billed when you receive your November statement? Have you slipped under the radar or are you being charged by the MB?

Thanks . . .
MUR

copter
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone using AT&T service to access dial up?
06 GRAYSTONE LBZ | MBRP 4" TURBO BACK | NOR*CALTRUCK 4-6 LIFT | AMP STEPS | 4300k HID'S | KMC DIESELS
06 COACHMEN ADRENALINE 314FS TOY HAULER | CLEAR LEDS | A&E POWER AWNING | ON BOARD AIR
05 HONDA 450R & HONDA 400EX

MrWizard
BT can be used for the connection between the PC( with BT ) and the cell phone.. and used for dialing the internet..

BUT somebody with at&t will have to help you with the 'billing' question

AFAIK at&t monitors the calls placed and all 'data' calls are charged by the KB if you do not have some kind of at&t interndt use plan

this is what Verizons NEW plan will be doing , charging at $1.99 per MB for those with out some kind of 'data usage' feature
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s