cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell phone spam

realladyat57
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting a lot of ads and such on my cell phone. Is there a way to block them? I have an Android phone from Verizon. Thanks.
MaryAnne
40 REPLIES 40

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
a cheap, quick, very simple--( even i can do it)-- way to not be bothered by junk calls.
do not answer any call from any (?) not on your named listings.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Yep, on rereading, I missed that. Maybe someone else will find the information useful.

But probably not, since these people usually send a DIFFERENT CID number each day.....and it is often one that has no real connection to the people actually making the calls.

Trying to filter out these calls with any kind of a "block list" is about 99% ineffective and a waste of time.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The Good Old Days...

Landline Advertising...

SPAM phone call
Find that company's FAX number. Thermal paper FAX

Tape three sheets of black paper into an endless roll in your FAX machine.

Dial the number. Return and chuckle now and then as the sheets revolved.

Ah well, it was fun...

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
mr. ed wrote:

My Verizon plan allows only 20 blocks. Maybe it's because I use an old fashioned flip phone. Don't need a smart phone.

Create a contact named "Block List", and give it a silent ring tone. When you get a telemarketing call just add it to the contact as an update. If your phone limits how many number entries you can have for each contact, just create a "Block List 2", etc. as needed. If your phone doesn't have a silent ringtone installed, record a couple of seconds of silence and use that.

Dutch, I've been using the "silent ring tone" already, as stated in my post.

Yep, on rereading, I missed that. Maybe someone else will find the information useful.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Your time would be much better spent with lobbying your Congress-critters to take EFFECTIVE action to stop this ****.
Make America great again. Put the scammers in jail.....and throw away the key.

I would take it a step further: mandatory execution by garroting, using a telephone cord, of course. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
mr. ed wrote:

My Verizon plan allows only 20 blocks. Maybe it's because I use an old fashioned flip phone. Don't need a smart phone.

Create a contact named "Block List", and give it a silent ring tone. When you get a telemarketing call just add it to the contact as an update. If your phone limits how many number entries you can have for each contact, just create a "Block List 2", etc. as needed. If your phone doesn't have a silent ringtone installed, record a couple of seconds of silence and use that.

Dutch, I've been using the "silent ring tone" already, as stated in my post.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
So what numbers do you block. I get calls a few digits from my cell number, a few digits from my google voice number, a few digits from my old land line, I call my kid in DC and get calls from DC. I gave up blocking them and just hit Reject Call.

Dave

I find that blocking numbers is not really effective anymore. They just call with a different number. Plus they are now much more sophisticated and show a local area code. Your options are just don't answer unless you know who is calling. Unfortunately for me my mobile is also my business phone so I usually need to answer but as soon as I recognize it as a robo call or spam I just hang up.

I have a very persistent one trying to sell an automotive warranty. I just put them on speaker and let them waste their time until they realize no one is listening.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SCClockDr wrote:

I currently am blocking 60 numbers so no limit as yet.

I hope that you all realize that the Caller ID number that spammer/scammers transmit to you usually is totally bogus.....right ??

Tomorrow they will be sending a different number.
Blocking based on incoming CID is mostly a wasted effort.

Every once in a while you even see your OWN number pop up there.

Your time would be much better spent with lobbying your Congress-critters to take EFFECTIVE action to stop this ****.
Make America great again. Put the scammers in jail.....and throw away the key.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
All of suggestions are great, but spammers are now using 'real' numbers and they seem legit when you get them. Today 'Rachel' may call from area code 330 and tomorrow 419.

I really do enjoy the ones about reducing my college debt.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:

Dutch

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
So what numbers do you block. I get calls a few digits from my cell number, a few digits from my google voice number, a few digits from my old land line, I call my kid in DC and get calls from DC. I gave up blocking them and just hit Reject Call.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
SCClockDr wrote:
For Verizon smart phone users with Android Nougat, there is a native solution. Recents > touch the offending call > touch Details > touch the 3 dot icon (top right) > touch Block Number.
I currently am blocking 60 numbers so no limit as yet.

Previously I used Call Control-Call Blocker from the Google Play Store.

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
BobKrogstie wrote:
The Do Not Call Registry accepts registrations from both cell phones and land lines. To register by telephone, call 1-888-382-1222 (TTY: 1-866-290-4236). You must call from the phone number that you want to register. To register online (donotcall.gov), you will have to respond to a confirmation email.

I honestly believe the spammers buy the do not call lists because they know they are valid numbers. I swear my spam calls increased exponentially when I signed up on the do not call list.

X2

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Call Control app on my Android phone as well as adding numbers to a "Block List" contact in my contacts list that's set with a silent ringer. For my VOIP numbers, I use NoMoRobo.
Dutch