cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Choices for wireless internet?

MegA
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been discussed here before but with 89 pages of results to go through and a really slow connection right now I'm just going to open a new thread. Please feel free to redirect me if this has been discussed recently.

I'm the one who asked about smartphones a while back and ended up postponing the purchase because of other expenses. I am now considering - *seriously* considering - changing my wireless provider, mainly because of the issue I just mentioned - slowness. I'm with Cricket and their 3G is not that fast to begin with but it's currently a whole lot worse; I think I've gone over my monthly bandwidth limit of 5 gigs.

I guess I'm lucky in one respect - Cricket doesn't charge for the extra, they just slow you way down. And this has happened only once before, a couple of years ago I think. But I do track my usage and I've been noticing that for the last several months it's been really hard to stay under the limit. I'm not sure exactly why because I don't think my usage patterns have changed that much but whatever the reason, I'm having to cut back on my time online - which, considering this is the only way I make money right now, is a problem.

Cricket does have plans with higher limits but they cost more and honestly, with the modem getting old and dropping calls more it's probably going to need replacing soon, so it seems like a good time to just rethink the whole ISP issue. I've been doing some research but the playing field has grown so much lately that I'm getting really confused, and not just by the "players"; there are lots more choices of plans now. At this point the only thing I really need is a limit that's higher than 5 gigs; I could handle 3G speed although obviously 4G would be nicer. Also, the plan has to be prepaid; no contracts. Currently I'm in the suburbs of a large city so I think I should be able to get a signal here; eventually I want to do some traveling but that's not going to be for a while yet.

So, if you'd care to help me out by sharing your own choices/experiences - things like cost, coverage, speed, reliability (as in, few dropped calls) - I'd really appreciate it. I'll check in here as often as I can. I'm not sure how long I'll have to endure this slowdown - obviously my tracking dates are somewhat behind Cricket's because I didn't think I was over yet - but I'm hoping things will speed up again (so to speak ๐Ÿ™‚ ) in a couple of days at the most.

Thanks in advance for your help, and as I said before, if there's another recent thread about this feel free to post a link.
14 REPLIES 14

MrWizard
here in Calif
a friend went last week to Walmart and got a Virgin mobile Broadband2go usb modem stick
it uses sprint 3G and wimax 4g/lte data services
$35 month buys 2gb of 3G service and unlimited wimax 4g service

in almost 2 weeks of use he has used 512mb on 3g and 2gb on 4g wimax

if you have walmart and wimax in your area this might be a viable option

No contract involved

go to virgin mobile .com to check for coverage in your area
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MegA
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. To randomly answer some questions/suggestions: Johno02, you're right, the industry *is* changing; I could wait until it settles down but I'm not sure it's going to! And I'm not sure my modem will last that long. I may call Comcast or Verizon or whoever offers more land-based services (not sure what else to call them) just to see how they work and what they cost but if, as MrWizard says, they're all on contracts that's not a choice; I don't know how long I'm going to be here, it's all related to finances (or the lack thereof ๐Ÿ™‚ ), but I sure hope it's not another two years!

About Millenicom - I did try them out a few years ago and had a really negative experience. I don't remember the details now; some of it I think was about a lack of support for a modem they sent me that didn't work. It was bad enough that I'm not sure I want to try again.

The other carriers - I know about Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, and Clear (which I think is now owned by Sprint). Virgin's and Clear's are within my budget but I've read mixed reviews about their service, everything from "it's wonderful" to misleading coverage claims and poor customer service, so if anyone here has used either of those I'd be curious about your own experience. My first cell phone was with Virgin; it was okay but it didn't get used much. When I dropped the land line at my last apartment I switched to Straight Talk because it was cheaper; I've been happy with them but unfortunately they don't offer modems too. I have heard good things about Verizon from other RVers but have always ruled it out for cost; I just checked again and the only thing I see that isn't a phone, a "Jetpack," is $90/month for 10 gigs. That's more than twice what I'm paying now and is out of reach of my extremely limited budget.

So - am I missing any other carriers? And have any of you tried any of the ones I've mentioned? I know I have a lot of research to do but this connection still seems slow so it will be a while before I can do all of that. Fortunately I have lots of offline projects to keep me busy...

Have a good weekend, everyone. I'll be in touch as often as I can.

MrWizard
to the OP
how long are you going to be there
cable usually comes with a 'contract' that is what everybody seems to be forgetting
a two year discount contract is not so good if your only going to be there 6 months
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
As fast as things are changing now, if you are not traveling, go with cable service, and a wireless router( with security enabled). When you get ready to travel, then look at wireless service. Things and service will probably bee better and cheaper, and new customers always get better deals than existing customers.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
For most of the US, Verizon is likely to provide a better chance of finding a cell tower than most of the other providers. If you stick to major highways & cities, you have more choices. Use the coverage maps of providers to get an idea of what they cover in both 3G & 4G.

I agree with Don - If you are looking for large volumes of data coverage, you can't beat Millenicom's Hotspot plan. You purchase a Verizon 4620 hotspot from them & get 20GB per month for $70.00. No contract & you can suspend service for a month or two. If you stop it longer, there is a $20.00 restart fee. They do not provide voice coverage.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
MegA,
Maybe it would be less expensive to use either a DSL or Cable modem. Then, when you do move, you can choose the best plan for that new location. If you can't bring the wire into where you are staying (or it isn't available close by), perhaps you can pay a family member or neighbor to "share" their WiFi.
Good luck,
Steve

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you search for a topic and get 89 pages of results try searching the results for a more definitive topic like Verizon or Hughesnet, etc.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you will be traveling Nationwide then I would recommend Verizon. Millenicom is a reseller of the Verizon service and no contract is required. As long as Verizon will work in the area you are in now you should have good service when you start to travel.
There are other PAYG plans from Sprint, Virgin Mobile, Straight Talk, T-Mobile, etc.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had Verizon Wireless for my sole internet access since 2005 and have been pleased. I've never had a problem getting access anywhere along the East coast from Me to Fl and as far west as Il. I only have 3G and while not the fastest it suits my needs and I don't stream video or movies and am one of the grandfathered true UNLIMITED folks.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd look seriously at the verizon flavor of Mellenicom. 20 gigs for $70 and no contract.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MegA
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both for your replies. Bill, to clarify - I'm on a temporary long-term stay with family but am not planning to stay here; it would be nice to have an ISP with good coverage so I wouldn't have to change again later. This is a suburban area and most of the neighbors seem to have cable-type connections rather than wireless; my laptop's WIFI card picks up some of them. I don't know much about how those work - I went straight from dialup to a wireless modem - but I think they mostly come with extra services, like phone or television, which I don't need. I have to admit, I don't know many people here; I don't have a car so I don't get out much, and because I'm self-employed I don't have any coworkers to ask. And I do know that I'd have to buy another modem; I've had prepaid plans for internet and also my phone for many years.

Wcjeep, I've never heard of Republic; I'll look into them. I don't know what a Motox is but hopefully their site will explain.

EDIT: I just went to Republic's site. It looks like they have only wireless phones. I don't need a phone, I need a wireless modem for my computer; that's the way I access the internet.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Many fulltime RVers depend on Verizon for its wireless needs. Most feel that it offers the most coverage of the US. Take a look at the Verizon map and see if your travels are in the Verizon claimed area coverage.
We have fulltimed for over 8 years and depend on Verizon and have never been without cell/internet service in the last 4 or 5 years. Now its 4G coverage seems to be nearly nation wide.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Republic Wireless made some announcements today. Looks like $40 for 4g service. Wait for the Motox.

Republic Wireless

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are staying in one location you only need to care about service that works in your area. Nothing else matters. Check with your neighbors and co-workers to find which provider has the best service in your area and then let us know which ones are good. Someone might then be able to provide some additional help. Even the coverage maps on line are no good if you happen to live/work in a dead zone.
The providers will also usually let you try a device but for the pay as you go type plan you are going to need to purchase the device.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?