cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Continuous generator usage. How long?

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Our kids have purchased some property southwest of us. The power is not in yet. If the deal goes through they will live in their TT. How long continuously can the genny be ran. Yes there will be monitoring and maintenance.

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100230-7200-watt-dual-fuel-generator/

This is the unit they will be using.

Thanks for any info.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY
29 REPLIES 29

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just keep clean oil and fuel in it and let it run.
Generator is just a machine... it does not get tired, need breaks, or a nap.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Best advice is to turn it off overnight. If you don't open the refrigerator, everything will be fine for at least 8 hours.

Oil level needs to be checked at least daily.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Oil change every 100 hours.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
If they can run on batteries, they most certainly don't need a generator that big. Don't need 7000 watt generator if you're running on 1000 watts.

Yes, they can run for a short time on batteries but with no shore power for a short time there is no way to charge.

And using ours as it is the only one available...
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they can run on batteries, they most certainly don't need a generator that big. Don't need 7000 watt generator if you're running on 1000 watts.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not run it in an enclosed area! It needs fresh air and have the exhaust properly vented. To answer your question it might last 6 months under continuous usage if they are lucky, it was never designed for that. I sold and serviced portable generators, we saw a lot of them worn right out powering grow ops.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We can run our Onan onboard generator about 6 days (150 hours) between oil changes, but the longest continuous run we've done was about 4 days due to wind storm damage that took out the high voltage power lines on the road to our site.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Page 19 says check oil every 8 hr and change oil every 50 hr if in hot weather or run hard, every 100 hr with light use.

Yup, thatโ€™s the thing about continuous usage of a small air-cooled engine driven generator. Some of them under extreme conditions you could be changing the oil every 2-3 days. My home standby generator can go 8-9 days running 24x7, and I wouldnโ€™t even want to do that very many times.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I would not run it in a barn! It should be outside so it gets clean air. Could make a noise deflector using bales of cheap hay/straw.
I would shut it down, let it cool for a couple hours every day.
Why does it need to run continuously?

They will be living in it. Guessing under light use they could run on batteries for a few hours each day.

Just to add I was a tad apprehensive of a longer continued use. But it is good to get more knowledge on it...

We only used it on two occasions in northeast Cali when the power went out...
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not run it in a barn! It should be outside so it gets clean air. Could make a noise deflector using bales of cheap hay/straw.
I would shut it down, let it cool for a couple hours every day.
Why does it need to run continuously?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Page 19 says check oil every 8 hr and change oil every 50 hr if in hot weather or run hard, every 100 hr with light use.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Generators can ran for weeks! Noise, maintenance, necessity will limit their ranning and shorten their life. Have they considered solar?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
It will not be located next to the TT but in a barn next them. There will be a small bit of separation. But good point.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
do the specs for the genny indicate anything about continuous run? if not I'd call the mfg and ask. regardless, I would shut it down at least once every 24-hrs to check oil.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It will run 24/7, but they will get tired of the racket very quickly. Unless they're doing some welding, or running 3 airs, 7200 watts is way too big.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman