Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv Multiswitch versus SWM

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Preface:

for the last 4 years, I've been using my trusty 18" single LNB for Standard Definition - so I'm fairly comfortable setting up my Satellite dish and connecting it to my Directv box(set as multiswitch).

My existing Slimline 3 satellite dish (on the house) used to use Mutlichannel (I was recently upgraded and the tech installed a SWM injector).

I was given a HD Slimline 3 dish and it comes with a SWM injector. Do I have to use the SWM Injector with the same receiver I used before when I had it set to multiswitch? Is there any advantage to using SWM?

Thanks so much in advance!

josh
13 REPLIES 13

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Idea: Set up and aim the dish at home replacing only the home dish. Then connect it to the rig since you now know it's working.

Or run a coax from the home dish to the rig and get it working.

And buy 150' (max length) of SWM quality coax which you will need for the rig only.

You must have the power inserter for both setups.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 2x LNB 18" round dish are independent and both for SD and 101. Can be used for 2 receivers or a 2 tuner DVR.

If the dish is the slimline and one coax I'd guess it's SWM. But maybe ask an installer to identify the dish.

Bob

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Count the coax cables running from the antenna to the house. You can count them at the LNB, at the house, or in the middle.

CA Traveler - I am not enough of an expert to know if there was a 3 coax non-SWM antenna. I know the 18" round took 2 cables, but thought the next step up took 4 cables. At least until SWM allowed a 1 cable install.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
jodeb720 wrote:
CA/Bobbo, thanks so much.

Bobbo - do I look on the LNB to determine if it requires the SWM injector? This might help.

Ulitmately, If I have to, I can use the injector inside the trailer and run the coax out to the antenna. It just becomes another piece of hardware to carry around with the dish. I bought a power injector for the RV and it's hidden behind a panel.

Bob

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
CA/Bobbo, thanks so much.

Bobbo - do I look on the LNB to determine if it requires the SWM injector?

On my H24, I know how to set it up for 18" single LNB. That was an adventure in babysitting the first time around. now it's kiddy play (less than 10 minutes on average - as long as I can see the TV for the signal meter - gosh I mess the old "Beeping" on my first box!!!).

Ulitmately, If I have to, I can use the injector inside the trailer and run the coax out to the antenna. It just becomes another piece of hardware to carry around with the dish.

One thing I like about this dish is it's ability to break down flat (well, almost flat). My 18" round is bulky in comparison (though If I found another one, I'd drill out the spot welds and put in a clevis pin with a quick release) and try that!

Thanks again for the responses!

josh

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo, Good input. Weren't there some 3 coax non SWM dishes?

SWM will be one coax from the dish.

Bob

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on the antenna. There are two kinds that look VERY similar.

This antenna does NOT need a power inserter, because it is not SWM. You can run its coax cables to a multiswitch just like the one you had for your 18"round, and still not need a power inserter.

If you add a SWM8 to get SWM in the house, then you need a power inserter.

This SWM LNB antenna requires a power inserter under all conditions.

Go outside and count the number of coax cables running from the antenna to the house. If you have 4, you have a NON-SWM LNB and can get by without a power inserter as long as you don't also have a SWM8.

If you have less than 4 coax cables, it is a SWM LNB and you will always need a power inserter.
Bobbo and Lin

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW You can also use RF remotes with the HR24 so that it no longer needs to be visible. Mine was mounted vertical in a closed cabinet.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The HR24 can be used with SWM or a multiswitch with the Slimline. The power injector would only be used at home with SWM. You can use dual coax to the HR24 for the RV. In either case you'll have 2 channel recording. I don't believe that the multiswitch is waterproof so you will need to protect it from the weather which is probably better than bringing all of the dish coax lines into the rig.

However, unless the rig TV is HD why not just use a dual LNB 18" dish or just your single LNB dish and you would not need the multiswitch?

Do you know how to change all of the HR24 settings for different dishes and TV's? I may still have my checklist.

You could also get a SWM dish for the rig rather than the Slimline. Then you could upgrade to the HR44 and have 5 channel recording.

But research how you are going to aim the Slimline or SWM dishes.

Bob

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I think I wasn't clear -

I have an H24 receiver - that works with my 18" single LNB without the SWM injector.

On my stick house, before the recent upgrade, I didn't have a SWM with my Slimline 3 dish - which is attached to the house.

So my question is this. with this new Slimline 3, and my existing H24, do I have to use the SWM injector, or can I directly connect the H24 to the Slimline 3 and it'll work?

Thanks for the responses!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still have the 18" round dish (for SD service) on my house, however I installed a SWM8 so I can move my DVR to whatever room I want without having to run a second coax to every room.

Since my RV's receiver is NOT SWM (it could be, but my portable antenna is not SWM and I don't want to change it back and forth), I ran a "legacy" line from the SWM8 to the RV.

In answer to your question, YES, the SWM will not work without the power inserter.

Since I have an outlet in the attic, right beside the SWM8, I actually put the power inserter in the attic with the SWM8. It is out of sight there.
Bobbo and Lin

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
SWM is a single coax that supports 5 channel recording and the Genie. We move the HR44 receiver from the house to the RV and each location has it's own power inserter and RF remote. The receiver is mounted vertically in a closed cabinet in the RV.

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the power inserter is used with the new SWM antenna. The power inserter goes inside by the receiver. It will work with new HD receivers as well as the old receivers and allows you to use a signal incoming cable to power a DVR or even a Genie.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?