cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV NOW...internet video streaming...More

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a DirecTV NOW subscriber since the service went live a few weeks ago. I've had the opportunity to test it using all sorts of internet connection schemes.

I have three hotspots, Verizon, Sprint and recently T-Mobile.

All work great from New Hampshire down to Washington DC.

This week I'm on a cross country trip from Massachusetts to Arizona. I've used my Iphone, my Ipad Mini and an Amazon Fire Stick to access. All work great.

In my trailer I'm using an Apple adapter to send the signal from my Ipad Mini and my Iphone to my TV via HDMI. This works OK, but sometimes the video has glitches and a few times it has locked up.I believe this is an HDMI edid issue and not much you can do about it.

So far, easily the best combination has been the T-Mobile hotspot with unlimited streaming and using the Amazon Fire Stick plugged into HDMI with the DirecTV NOW app and WiFi to the T-Mobile hotspot. Fantastic video quality and zero glitches or lock ups. PERFECT!

I was able to grab the 6g T-Mobile hotspot offer for $35 a month before it sunsetted on January 22.

$35 a month for T Mobile unlimited streaming and $35 a month for DTV-NOW and 100 channels.

I also added "Curiosity Stream" app for a ton of science programs and Netflicks for movies.

So my total monthly cost for on the road entertainment is:

$35 T-Mobile
$35 DVT-NOW
$10 Curiosity Stream
$10 NetFlix

$90 Total (and I have 6g of general internet access. Last month I didn't use 4g so 2g gets put in my bank for future use.)

So far I've not found any place that T Mobile doesn't work. In fact, I used it on this trip of nearly 2000 mile to run Google Maps as I was driving along. Never lost signal once. Very impressive!

I'll be staying in an RV park north of Deming NM and then in a park north of Phoenix. We'll see how well T-Mobile works in these more remote areas.

Hope this helps others with the "entertainment" decision.

subject title edited for clarity
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
14 REPLIES 14

MrWizard
Jersey Jim
Problems with directv NOW service, the internet streaming service

No harm done, just trying to not drift off into hardware, dish, box
Problems

I'm sure there are others that did not realize the difference
Bringing it to attention makes it easier to stay with the Now streaming service topic
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
you are going to see more and more of the Directv Now type services in the future, I think streaming services like this will be the future. ATT is using this service to lure in more cell customers by offering to have the DirecttvNow data not count against your data package.

My biggest concern with these services is can you get good enough cell service in campgrounds to make it work. The campgrounds we've tried it in have been about 50-50 on having adequate cell service.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
MRWIZARD: Sorry....I thought I WAS on topic. These posters are telling about their PROBLEMS with DirecTV....I was just telling about MY lack of problems (thankfully).

MrWizard
Let's keep this thread on topic

Directv Now is an internet service , No dish, No box
Just a subscription and a app/ program on your device , tablet, phone, pc
It's internet and software, like Netflix, or hulu, or Amazon video

That is what is being discussed

There are plenty of other threads regarding satellite service
Satellite and boxes are not being discussed and not needed in this thread
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I (PERSONALLY) have no idea(s) of what the problems are with DirecTV. I've had it in my house for a good 10 years.Once...the (SD) LNB went bad. Service was there the next day. Fixed.
I get great reception (SD or HD in the house)....rain and snow don't bother it....only HEAVY cloud cover ( like a thunderstorm) interrupts the signal. But who do you blame that on? God? Just about the ONLY thing I don't like is the 8 minits it takes for the HD box to boot up. In this age of "instantaneous" my question is "why"? EIGHT minits !

With the SD box.. .(in the bedroom) the "boot up" is instant. Plus this is the box I take and put in the RV when, say, on a 3 month snowbird run. I give up the "networks"...no biggie, but have all the other stations. Dish, tripod, strength meter and compass. 10-15 minits to set up. Pay the bill on time.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
While Roy has been promoting DirecTV Now on every RV Discussion Forum about how great it's working for him, the reality is that for many, many, many other folks using the service, it's having lots of problems. From the inherent limitations to days of no service to a multitude of other issues, the reviews are in and they are not good. I only say this because I have no horse in the race and it would be sad if too many of us jump in and cancel our current service and expect DirecTV Now to be the latest and greatest. Especially since it's far from it. I just hope anyone will do their due diligence and make the decision based on unbiased and extensive research before making a decision. Especially since most of us in the RV category are exposed to many, many limitations and challenges when it comes to streaming services compared to traditional forms of entertainment options. A Google search of honest reviews will bring up a wealth of information. Here is just one example. Chuck

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
"So the DTV data is free? Confused. "

As I posted, $35 a month for 100 channels (introductory offer, a few $$ more now)
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
"Do you ever go OUTSIDE and enjoy the read world?"

Yes, I sit outside and read often...............
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Using the DirecTV app, my DirecTV subscription, and my AT&T subscription I have great coverage in my travel trailer with no data charges. I connect my Android phone (Samsung GS5) to the TV using an MHL/HDMI converter.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
So the DTV data is free? Confused.

AT&T offers "unlimited" streaming if you're a DTV customer (because they own DTV). In an interesting turn of events, TMO countered with the same offer by offsetting your DTV subscription with a bill-credit (an offer that has now expired). I believe the "unlimited" streaming offer is the same - 22 Gbps limit and the right to throttle speeds after that (doesn't mean they will, but they can).
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
So the DTV data is free? Confused.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the update RoyB... Sounds like you nailed it pretty good...

ADDED NOTE: This is getting SAT TV downstreamed over the internet in all cases right?

Roy Ken
RoyB from King George...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unlimited data from Verizon is now available. This could well be a real game changer for this service.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Having a MUCH simpler system....a VERIZON cell phone and DirecTV (separate), with the cell phone, on my 4 NJ-CA cross county snowbird trips, I found 3 places that have a reception problem....or no reception at all:

In the area of Junction, Tx (I-10)
Lake Havesau (sp), (London Bridge) AZ ("this is Sprint Country"....as explained to me)
and about 10 miles on I-8 from AZ to CA.

So....RBERTALOTTO: Do you ever go OUTSIDE and enjoy the read world? Just wondering........