cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I searched the recent Directv posts and I don't see this specific question answered. I have had Directv for several decades and have always had an extra receiver in my motorhome. About a year ago I moved the stick and brick house and at that time I upgraded to the Genie II at the house. I had an HD receiver in the motorhome and I noted it got turned off when I upgraded to the Genie II. I didn't worry about it too much at the time because I knew I wasn't going to be using the motorhome much for a while.

So now I wanted to use my motorhome again and I called Directv to try and get an HD DVR to put in the motorhome. After an hour on the phone and talking to two different idiots who didn't know what the heck they were talking about, I finally got an idiot who told me I can't do it. They said to have satellite in my motorhome I had to start a completely separate account. They couldn't tell me why or what changed and the fact that I've had Directv in my motorhome since 2001 didn't mean anything to them.

So the question: Does anybody have Directv in both their house and their motorhome on the same account? If so what equipment do you use?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

35 REPLIES 35

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good clarification. Can't see how 2 accounts could be considered sharing.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
charwan wrote:
A DTV tech came to my house and installed my son's H24 receiver in my MH. If it had been wrong or he was not supoosed to, don't you think he would have said something or refused to have done it.
I'm not surprised that neither he or the order taker were concerned. Maybe they are tolerant of a difficult to enforce policy. Perhaps your son like me is a "valuable customer".

Might get a different response if you asked for a receiver on your neighbors account and he's agreed to the extra charge.

Change is continual. You can't buy a receiver any more as they are all owned by DTV and leased. They don't do RV installs. SD transmission is being terminated in 2019. I may have a DTV TIVO receiver in the garage. Etc.

Bob

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
When I installed my Genie I I knew my son would be moving into my basement while he repaired his home so I ask the tech if he could bring his Genie I over and use my antenna and he said no because they work off RF on the cable. When my son came over he brought his equipment and I told him it wouldn't work. He argued but gave in and we went out to the MH and took his receiver out of my MH and reprogramed it to work on the 3 LNB dish I had. Now I could have gotten another Mini "I only had two" but he was still paying for all his equipment.
N4FAP

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
There is a lot that DTV does not share but I'd guess that not allowing additional receivers on a Genie 2 account it technically valid. The Genie 2 supports 7 video streams and 2 can be 4K. That is a lot of bandwidth on the coax and probably 19 channel slots (7 for each 4K). Having another receiver on the coax/WiFi might just be incompatible or just not reliable.

Clearly another receiver in the RV with it's own dish does not interfere with the Genie 2. However you are now and always have been in violation of DTV policy which prohibits sharing on one account.

DTV has no way to know if you are using both the Genie 2 and RV receiver at the same time but they can disable other receivers on the Genie 2 account. So take the Genie 2 and client(s) with you in the RV.

charwan - Did you realize that using a receiver in your RV on your sons account was in violation of DTV policy?

Scenario: DTV installed the Genie 2 and clients. There were no other receivers connected. Hence cancel all of the unused receivers.

A DTV tech came to my house and installed my son's H24 receiver in my MH. If it had been wrong or he was not supoosed to, don't you think he would have said something or refused to have done it. So I am now sharing my son's account. We both have DTV Genie I and would cost for the receiver would be the same on my account or his so we or I'm not cheating anyone. "THEY INSTALLED HIS H24 RECEIVER IN MY MH FOR ME". Now what's wrong with that.
N4FAP

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I upgraded to the 5 channel HR44 Genie I kept the 2 channel HR24 non Genie for month while determining that the HR44 would work in the MH. It did and I also tested both receives on the coax.

Not only did I have 7 channel capability but to my amazement the HR24 displayed and played all of the HR44 recordings.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DTV cannot determine where the receivers for an account are located. Perhaps a tech could ask to verify all receivers on a service call. So all works well for sharing within a spot beam with multiple dishes.

Perhaps DTV had valid technical reasons for now allowing additional receivers with a Genie 2 account. Or perhaps they felt that 7 TVs for a Genie 2 was adequate and they decided to block sharing.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
msmith1199,

I also take my receiver in the MH and DTV is very aware.

My post was: "charwan - Did you realize that using a receiver in your RV on your sons account was in violation of DTV policy?"

I read his post as using a receiver on his sons account and then he couldn't because his son upgraded to Genie 2. And he's back to sharing the account.

charwan wrote:
That happened to me several weeks ago. My son moved back into his home after making some repairs. Call the tech to put the receives back in and he talked him into installing the newest system in. The WIFI. Cut my receiver off in my MH after several weeks. Called to get put back they said no even though it had been working for weeks. He had to call them back out and they took the new system out and installed his old system and turned my H24 back on.

Bob

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler, I have had a Directv receiver in my motorhome since 2001 and Directv has always allowed it and then knew it was in the motorhome. I violated no policy.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I did specifiy Genie II in the original post. That appears to be the problem.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a lot that DTV does not share but I'd guess that not allowing additional receivers on a Genie 2 account it technically valid. The Genie 2 supports 7 video streams and 2 can be 4K. That is a lot of bandwidth on the coax and probably 19 channel slots (7 for each 4K). Having another receiver on the coax/WiFi might just be incompatible or just not reliable.

Clearly another receiver in the RV with it's own dish does not interfere with the Genie 2. However you are now and always have been in violation of DTV policy which prohibits sharing on one account.

DTV has no way to know if you are using both the Genie 2 and RV receiver at the same time but they can disable other receivers on the Genie 2 account. So take the Genie 2 and client(s) with you in the RV.

charwan - Did you realize that using a receiver in your RV on your sons account was in violation of DTV policy?

Scenario: DTV installed the Genie 2 and clients. There were no other receivers connected. Hence cancel all of the unused receivers.

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
charwan wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:

And Bill, you say not a big deal then you go on to explain the solution is exactly what Directv says I can't do and several other people confirm that. Directv is saying I can't have another receiver that doesn't hook to the Genie. And I want HD channels. That's the main reason I got the Winegard Traveler dish.

msmith119 It doesn't make sense what they say "DRTV". Mine worked for several weeks after my son installed the his new system "So it can work with the latest systems" it just quit when they cut his old receivers off. Someone in the "ivory tower" decided not to let you use the two systems together.

Now there is someone on here that tells he has some inside info to the fact that Directv won't cut 101 and 119 off. I read the article and it says they won't. You can go read for yourself. MOHO

You cannot have another receiver on an account with a GENIE 2. The 2 is important. If that's the hardware installed then the only way to take DirecTV on the road is to take the Genie 2 in the RV. This is likely the future of DirecTV as it eliminates all the folks cheating DTV (and DISH) by using a receiver from their kids home in their RV or sharing accounts with friends and family. Only the person with a Genie 2 will be able to use the service as the Genie 2 does not work with other receivers and does not connect directly to any of your TV's. You must have a Genie 2 (server) and then place a client at each TV. It's genius on their part.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
That's really not even a big deal. OK, you have to get a new receiver (HD) but you could do that today and use the HD receiver to pick up the SD broadcast. The only important question is what programming will be available in HD from the 101 satellite. My bet is that it will be a minimal number of channels and not worth having a dome and DTV.

Bill, could you explain this a bit more.I usually take along an SD receiver to use with the SD dish. This summer I tried our bedroom HD receiver, an H25-500 and never could get it to work. Just looking for options. Thanks

The H25 receiver (and higher numbers) REQUIRES SWM to function and your RV antenna (or dome) was likely not setup for SWM. You can add the SWM8 hardware to a dome or use an open face antenna with SWM and your receiver will work in the RV. If you replaced that with an H24, you would not have any problems.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:

And Bill, you say not a big deal then you go on to explain the solution is exactly what Directv says I can't do and several other people confirm that. Directv is saying I can't have another receiver that doesn't hook to the Genie. And I want HD channels. That's the main reason I got the Winegard Traveler dish.

msmith119 It doesn't make sense what they say "DRTV". Mine worked for several weeks after my son installed the his new system "So it can work with the latest systems" it just quit when they cut his old receivers off. Someone in the "ivory tower" decided not to let you use the two systems together.

Now there is someone on here that tells he has some inside info to the fact that Directv won't cut 101 and 119 off. I read the article and it says they won't. You can go read for yourself. MOHO
N4FAP

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Changing to Dish is an option, but I have a contract with Directv for the Genie II and I have a Winegard Travler so I'd have to buy a new dish and arm for it to receive Dish. It may be cheaper just to cave and get a second account.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
That's really not even a big deal. OK, you have to get a new receiver (HD) but you could do that today and use the HD receiver to pick up the SD broadcast. The only important question is what programming will be available in HD from the 101 satellite. My bet is that it will be a minimal number of channels and not worth having a dome and DTV.

Bill, could you explain this a bit more.I usually take along an SD receiver to use with the SD dish. This summer I tried our bedroom HD receiver, an H25-500 and never could get it to work. Just looking for options. Thanks