cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish HD Satellite Dish

jarbra15
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a Direct Tv customer for 14 years and changed to Dish Tv this week. I have that many years of experience of setting up my Direct Tv standard definition dish. I am going to want Dish HD in my RV now and was wondering how difficult is it to tune in a HD dish as compared to a standard definition dish. I am also considering a Winnegard Pathway X2. Expensive!!
Brad & Carol
2001 Dodge 2500,Quad Cab, LB,5.9CTD,Auto,3.54
2004 Cedar Creek Silverback LRLFS
15K Lil Rocker hitch
Tekonsha-Prodigy Brake Controller
22 REPLIES 22

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the Pathway X2 antenna. It acquires the satellites automatically (self-pointing) as long as you have an unobstructed view of the sky. Full HD on a 211Z receiver and DVR capability with an external USB hard drive. It works very well for us.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not easy......the first couple of times but it gets much easier each time you have to set it up. The biggest difference is that the 3 satellites you need to find are spread across 20 degrees of sky so you need a large open path to the Southern sky. Get an app for your phone.....I highly recommend Dish Pointer (Pro) from Augmented Reality. It uses the phones compass and camera to actually allow you to "see" the satellites in the sky.
For ease of setup something like the Pathway is an excellent choice as long as you do not plan to use a DVR or use more than 1 receiver. If you do then a tripod mounted antenna just like the one at home will let you do whatever you like.
Let us know what additional question the answers above have created.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my Pathway X2 for over two years and I've never regretted the purchase. I just find a reasonably level spot with a clear view to the south/southwest, make the connections, hook up the power, and let the system go through the process. It takes 10-15 minutes and I've got great HD programs. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I switched to DISH a few months ago from Directv HD.

I dont think its any different. I can usually do it in ten minutes or so.

You should have a really good tripod like a surveyors tripod ; easy to level and very solid. Adjust the dish settings per the sat box/zipcode settings, level and point-peak the signal using the meter in the sat box.

I use Dishpointer AR on my iPhone to locate the sats.

I too, am considering a Winegard pathway. Compared to $1800 for a Travler, $420 Prime on Amazon seems cheap.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
jarbra15 wrote:
I have that many years of experience of setting up my Direct TV standard definition dish. I am going to want Dish HD in my RV now and was wondering how difficult is it to tune in a HD dish as compared to a standard definition dish.

You could literally throw a DirecTV SD dish on the ground and have it work. Not so with a DISH HD dish, so your years of experience will be for naught.

Buy that Winegard Pathway X2.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I can set mine up in under 10 minutes(usually) I have an Accutrac III signal finder. Can't afford one new so look for a used one. It finds all three satellites for you. My old finder would lock on a satellite but would usually be the wrong one. I got mine refurbished. Here's a used one(no guarantees...)
sat finder
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's anything like Direct, it's going to take a much better tripod and some practice.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I used to get real frustrated finding just one satellite on my tripod-mounted portable. I now have a Trav'ler (DirecTv); push a button and it's done. Worth every penny. If it were me I'd spring for the Pathway and save the frustration.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE