cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fire Tablet VS iPad

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I had my iPad, along with my vehicle, stolen last night and would like another tablet. The fire tablet is a fraction of the cost of an iPad.
I know nothing about the fire tablets, but are they a good substitution for an iPad? Thanks.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
22 REPLIES 22

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
The Fire tablet doesnโ€™t come close in capability unfortunately.

fj12ryder wrote:
Like anything else, it depends on what you use your tablet for. The Fire will do quite a few things, and many apps can be loaded with some work and fiddling.

Truth in both statements ! If your a committed long term Apple user, it will take some time to get used to the differences. If you use iCloud to share/store a lot of pictures/documents or use FaceTime a lot, you are likely doing to have issues.

Apple even more so than Amazon (Fire) want to be you "one and only provider" so they both make cross functionality "difficult". Neither particularly like Google so using Google apps can be a challenge (not that is can not be done).

I have a Fire 8 HD, but have not used it much. Just a bit too small.

Amazon has recently had some AMAZING deals (up to 50% off) on their entire Fire table line (likely there will be new versions before Christmas) that are hard to pass up. I would buy a Fire 10, give it a good 2 to 3 months and if you are not happy, sell it. You won't lose that much money.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I like the used Ipad 4's, I buy them on eBay. They work perfect for me.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Apple has many advantages I appreciate including syncing with my iPhone and desk top.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Were you happy with the iPad?
I would never switch.
The new iPad Air comes with a pencil for jotting notes

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would go to a more generic android platform.

Fire are cheap because amazon wants to lock you into their ecosystem (similar to apple).

You can get a generic android pretty darn cheap that will do the vast majority of tablet functions and doesn't tie you down.

I guess the real question is what do you do with your tablet?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like anything else, it depends on what you use your tablet for. The Fire will do quite a few things, and many apps can be loaded with some work and fiddling. Personally if I wanted a tablet I would look at one of the Android tablets, but I'm not fan of the Apple world so you have to take that into account.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The Fire tablet doesnโ€™t come close in capability unfortunately.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
My first tablet was a fire. It worked fairly well, seemed more durable than some of the others I looked at. It is nowhere near the Ipad obviously but will perform many functions. One thing I did not like about it, and I dont know if they have fixed it was that you could only use Amazon apps. While they have most, it did limit you on some occasions. By going with an Android tablet using chrome there was more variety in what was available.

Amazon may have fixed the problem, but I know it was a problem a while back.