cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Galaxy S4 downloading pictures-UPDATE

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with an added mini SD card for storage. How do I get the pictures out of the phone without taking the back off and removing the SD card?

I have tried hooking the phone to my computer using the supplied USB cord and I have downloaded the drivers from the internet but the only thing my computer sees is the phone as a modem. It does not see the phone as another drive or allow me to see the contents of the phone for downloading. All of my previous phones have been able to be seen by the computer as another drive when hooked up via USB. Any suggestions?
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine
33 REPLIES 33

I just checked using a USB cable attached to my Samsung Galaxy S3 in Ubuntu, and it does recognize the SD card and phone storage. But the phone cannot be in sleep mode like it can for Windows.

With the USB cable attached, unlock your Galaxy S3 screen and Ubuntu should then recognize the files. At least it did for me.

You can then go to DCIM or Camera to find your photos and drag-n-drop them to your computer. Make sure you have the correct codec to view them in Ubuntu.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
With Windows (or a Windows add-on) Dropbox is not necessary and serious overkill if you are on a cellular connection. By just using the File Explorer option the phone will show up as a USB device and you will be able to move the pics from the phone to the computer without any internet connection of any kind. Just cable it up and cut from the phone and paste to the computer.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
1492 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
1492 wrote:
Barney, you can also just use Dropbox which will auto upload any photos from your Galaxy 4. BTW, when I installed the Dropbox(DB) app on my Galaxy S, DB gave me 50G Free space for the first year. Apparently, a promo with Samsung. You can also set camera uploads for WiFi only to avoid using your mobile data.

You're photos will then be available on your desktop/notebook once synced. DB does have an app available for Linux 32/64 bit.
\

You sure don't want to do that unless both the phone and the computer are connected to free unlimited wifi. Doing that with the phones cellular connection will eat up your monthly data in short order

Maybe you didn't read the part of setting Dropbox photo upload to WiFi only? That was the whole point of not using mobile 3G/4G data allowance for uploading photos. Which is what I do with my phones.

I read the entire post. That's why I mentioned that BOTH the phone and the computer need to be on wifi. If only the phone is on wifi and the computer downloads it there will still be huge data usage.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Dropbox. Dropbox has directions to create a shared folder on your Windows machine. Google Drive is another option.

MrWizard
on the phone

settings

storage

(touch the triple DOT) menu button, upper right hand corner

"USB computer connection" should pop up, touch/choose/click that

next

check the box for Media device (MPT)

go back to the phones home screen and plug phone into PC with the USB cable

pc should see phone as usb media player or media drive
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
When I open "Computer", my Galaxy S4 appears as SCH-I545, Portable Media Player. Using Windows 7.

I also have Dropbox and, when connected, I get a popup, asking if I want to import pictures.

Bill.Satellite wrote:
1492 wrote:
Barney, you can also just use Dropbox which will auto upload any photos from your Galaxy 4. BTW, when I installed the Dropbox(DB) app on my Galaxy S, DB gave me 50G Free space for the first year. Apparently, a promo with Samsung. You can also set camera uploads for WiFi only to avoid using your mobile data.

You're photos will then be available on your desktop/notebook once synced. DB does have an app available for Linux 32/64 bit.
\

You sure don't want to do that unless both the phone and the computer are connected to free unlimited wifi. Doing that with the phones cellular connection will eat up your monthly data in short order

Maybe you didn't read the part of setting Dropbox photo upload to WiFi only? That was the whole point of not using mobile 3G/4G data allowance for uploading photos. Which is what I do with my phones.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two solutions...
First: You need to delete or kill off the phone as modem drivers in order to see the phone as a media device, there should be two ways to do this, one is via a configuration setting on the phone (USB connect mode but I forget what they call it) the other is to delete device on your computer.. THis is the hard way.. so of course its how I do it :).

The other way is to set up your Dropbox account on both the phone and the computer then on the phone you can either select a bunch of photos to "Share" via drop box. or one at a time LONG PRESS choose share via drop box.

Then download using the Dropbox account program/application on your comptuer

This in fact, is the best way because that way you can spread those photos across all your drop box connected devices and even post them as attachments here (put 'em in the public folder to do that, then copy the link) like Well THis:

Cat Naps Jpg on Dropbox
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
1492 wrote:

\

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd be googling 's4 not seen as drive'

It should be seen as a drive. Maybe several.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Guess you get to pull the micro sd card, put it in an SD card adapter, and put that in your SD card reader on your computer, or adapter SD card reader to usb 2 port.

MrWizard
windows will automatically see the phone as a USB media device

for linux you will need a prg and or drivers
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
NinerBikes wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with an added mini SD card for storage. How do I get the pictures out of the phone without taking the back off and removing the SD card?

I have tried hooking the phone to my computer using the supplied USB cord and I have downloaded the drivers from the internet but the only thing my computer sees is the phone as a modem. It does not see the phone as another drive or allow me to see the contents of the phone for downloading. All of my previous phones have been able to be seen by the computer as another drive when hooked up via USB. Any suggestions?
Barney

Use a microsoft windows operating system, and it will search for and provide the right drivers for your computer. Another option is to download the SAMSUNG Kies software, free. That should take care of your needs.

Niner, i have alread done both of the things you suggest with no results other than the phone showing up as a modem after using the Kies software when I am using Windows.

I have a dropbox account and have uploaded/downloded several pictures that way. i have not tried to do the whole phone. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:

Barney

Use a microsoft windows operating system, and it will search for and provide the right drivers for your computer. Another option is to download the SAMSUNG Kies software, free. That should take care of your needs.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
alot of phones pop up an message on the phone indicating if you want to just charge or go to mass storage mode. you generally need to select that before it will show the phone as disk drives.

this will prolly not work on linux