cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going from Direct TV to Dish Need information

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
OK guys, We are fed up with Direct tv and are going to switch our home and RV to Dish. We had the roof winegard for Direct TV but just sold the big Class A and bought a small Class C.

We are short ( 1 to 2 months) trip takers maybe a couple times a year.

We plan to buy a portable satellite Dome based on the answers here (as I always get great info) No one will be in our house when we leave so do not need service in the stick built during that time. Our RV has a satellite cable set up that will go to the box and then from the box to the TV we had installed when we had the new tv set up.

Here goes- What has everyone found to be the best portable satellite for Dish. When calling Dish network, what do we ask for. We will want 2 receivers in our house and one receiver in the motorhome but hopefully not a separate account or is it better and cheaper to just take the second receiver from the house. Local channels while traveling is not important. Do I tell them one of the receivers will be in the RV and will the receiver in the RV need to be set up by Dish or can we do it. With our direct tv system. The receiver in the RV was just an additional $7 a month and was just connected to our home account.

Since we are starting from scratch with Dish Network I figure someone here has a new system you have installed and can guide me which way to go that works and keeps the cost down.
20 REPLIES 20

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Over The Air tuner puts the programming from the antenna right on the guide with the dish programming.
I use the pathway I because it's smaller and easier to store.
The VIP211K was in the MH with a pay as you go acc when we changed the house from drectv to dish. The dish installer got the numbers off the box and put them on the new acc and made it work before he left. The $40 I paid to have a DVD stayed with the box and I didn't have to pay it again with the new acc.

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
I use a Winegard CarryOut portable automatic satellite antenna with a Vip211k (which I believe is one of the better more versatile receivers available). The CarryOut line of automatic antennas can tune both the eastern and western arcs as well as the DirectTV SD satellite (I hear Direct is moving away from broadcasting SD soon). The 211k has a built-in OTA tuner for local channels and can be upgraded to a DVR by adding an external hard drive via USB cable (and pay a $40 one time fee).

I bought a Wally receiver only to find out the only out puts it has are component and HDMI. I have two TVs at my house and two on the RV so to use the Wally, I'd need to purchase an HDMI splitter and HDMI cables run to both TVs. Right now, I can't use the Wally. The Wally also lacks an internal OTA tuner but for 2/3s the cost of the receiver, you can buy an external one to add that missing feature back to it.

If you go with a portable dish, you'll have better luck finding a signal in parks with a lot of tree that can block permanently mounted antennas.

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what is an OTA tuner. Also, we tried the dish on a tripod and gave up as we just couldn't get a signal. We only have one tv in the rv so which receiver would you recommend We have never recorded anything on our Direct tv receiver but not saying we wouldn't ever. The main thing we watch on the tv are the baseball games and we purchase the baseball package now and I have confirmed that Dish provides that as well.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Winegard CarryOut portable automatic satellite antenna with a Vip211k (which I believe is one of the better more versatile receivers available). The CarryOut line of automatic antennas can tune both the eastern and western arcs as well as the DirectTV SD satellite (I hear Direct is moving away from broadcasting SD soon). The 211k has a built-in OTA tuner for local channels and can be upgraded to a DVR by adding an external hard drive via USB cable (and pay a $40 one time fee).

I bought a Wally receiver only to find out the only out puts it has are component and HDMI. I have two TVs at my house and two on the RV so to use the Wally, I'd need to purchase an HDMI splitter and HDMI cables run to both TVs. Right now, I can't use the Wally. The Wally also lacks an internal OTA tuner but for 2/3s the cost of the receiver, you can buy an external one to add that missing feature back to it.

If you go with a portable dish, you'll have better luck finding a signal in parks with a lot of tree that can block permanently mounted antennas.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dish will provide you a hopper and a Joey for home for โ€œfreeโ€ for signing up for Dish service.
You can buy the Wally or 211 receiver and the portable automatic dish from several online a retailers. You can turn the rv tuner on or off at will via app
The provided tuners in the house need to be on since you donโ€™t own them they would probably want them returned if not connected .
You can change your service location at will , every day if you desire via text , app or phone call. Changing service locations will / May affect the home tuner ability to get locals but all other Chanelโ€™s will work as normal ( record while your not there)
Dishformyrv.com can help you with the RV setup. And at least direct you to the home set up.

I use a pathfinder2 and it works great with a large reflector ( less rain problems) but itโ€™s large and hard to store. Itโ€™s not my primary dish thatโ€™s a roof mounted travler I have little experience with the other portables.
Bill

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
rondeb wrote:
OK guys, We are fed up with Direct tv and are going to switch our home and RV to Dish. We had the roof winegard for Direct TV but just sold the big Class A and bought a small Class C.

We are short ( 1 to 2 months) trip takers maybe a couple times a year.

We plan to buy a portable satellite Dome based on the answers here (as I always get great info) No one will be in our house when we leave so do not need service in the stick built during that time. Our RV has a satellite cable set up that will go to the box and then from the box to the TV we had installed when we had the new tv set up.

Here goes- What has everyone found to be the best portable satellite for Dish. When calling Dish network, what do we ask for. We will want 2 receivers in our house and one receiver in the motorhome but hopefully not a separate account or is it better and cheaper to just take the second receiver from the house. Local channels while traveling is not important. Do I tell them one of the receivers will be in the RV and will the receiver in the RV need to be set up by Dish or can we do it. With our direct tv system. The receiver in the RV was just an additional $7 a month and was just connected to our home account.

Since we are starting from scratch with Dish Network I figure someone here has a new system you have installed and can guide me which way to go that works and keeps the cost down.

Just call 1-800-333-3474 for Dish Network tech support. Explain how you want to use your Dish i.e. 1 tv or 2 tvs, do you want a permanently mounted automatic satellite on your roof ,do you want a automatic dish that you can sit next to your RV (Play Maker) ??? They will walk you through your options, choices.

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
Not all receivers will work with portable satellites. We have a Winegard Pathway X2 that we have been very pleased with. It will receive both the eastern and western arc satellites. The only receivers that are compatible with it are the 211Z and Wally. If you have a Hopper at your house, it won't work with any of the portable dome type satellite dishes. You would get the dish itself from a 3rd party, not Dish. (Places like Camping World, LazyDays, GeneralRV, etc., sell the dishes). If you need an additional receiver for your motorhome, you can buy it from one of those other places and register it with Dish Network. They will charge you an extra $7/mo to send a signal to that receiver. While you are traveling, you can call Dish customer service and change your service location so you can get the local channels for wherever you happen to be. You can change the local location as often as you want.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad