cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to set up a blog or website?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have been thinking for some time about creating a blog or website for documenting camping experiences, mods and other stuff about our TT, hobbies, the meaning of life and who knows what else. Are there easy to use templates or what do folks do? Looking for something that would be relatively straightforward to set up and update.

What's out there and what are costs?
10 REPLIES 10

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
I've done websites in the past, still update one actually, but wanted something simple, easy to update yet powerful enough to offer our family and friends a way to follow us in our travels.

Hence our Trip Journal (link in signature) powered by Good Sams.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

writerwithwheel
Explorer
Explorer
I spent six months on the road and put my experience into a kindle book.
One way to recoup some of the expense.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent info., thanks!!

Now that winter is here and there's no more camping or weeds to deal with around the farm until springtime, I'll have some time to do this. ๐Ÿ™‚

I've built websites for many years, and currently deploying a new intranet site for a government agency. Personally, I'd also recommend using either Blogspot.com or Wordpress.com as mentioned. This way, you can add content or update your site from the front end, directly from your browser, just by signing in and creating a new post. Not much different than you did to create this thread.

Building an HTML based site generally involves uploading new content or site updates from the back end. Traditionally, you needed to create the content or updates locally from your computer. Then upload the files to the web server. It is a much more difficult and involved process if you do not already have a firm knowledge of HTML, CSS, and basic scripting. Or at least, know how to use the various frameworks or libraries available to make your site dynamically engaging.

Yes, there are now online new tools for creating websites by drag-n-drop, or by using existing templates. But to have a customized, unique website that engages your visitors, you need to have some advance knowledge to do so.

I gave up on WYSIWYG editors such as Dreamweaver long ago. Personally, I don't know of any web developers that use them. I prefer Photoshop for design layout. Then code using Notepad++, previewing the site using a browser.

But, you don't have to be concerned with any of this if using something like Blogspot.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go Daddy et al has some real nice tools to make building a website real easy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you want templates that let you plug in text & photos, it is had to beat Google's Blogspot. It is free and a number of free templates are available. There are additional templates available that are more complex, but some require purchase.

A couple others that I've seen used by RVers are Wordpress & MyTripJournal.

If you want complete flexibility, you can build your own using software such as Adobe's Dreamweaver combined with purchasing a domain at an ISP such as Go Daddy or 1&1, but that can become complex and a bit expensive, at least more than free.

I do both - a one photo daily update (while traveling) at Blogspot and text & more photos at my LakeshoreImages site.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go Daddy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Good post Kathy!
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Blogspot is what I use, too. I have never been charged for it.

After you get enough into the blog on Blogspot.com you can pay a small sum to have it as a PDF to save into your computer or even a hard copy book or both like I did. Mine ran about $40 but I've had my blog going since 2005. I post about once a month. Maybe one photo with each entry.
CLICKY
http://blog2print.sharedbook.com/blogworld/printmyblog/index.html?gclid=CJCesLCR_MECFYpufgodSAEA2A

I'm telling you this so you get an idea of what else you can do with it.

Consider downloading picasa to your computer (It's free). Makes it easier to upload photo's directly to a blogspot post.

If you are going to upload a LOT of photo's to your blog, may I suggest you upload them to an online picasa album (also free) just keep your photo's to 1200 x 900 or smaller and you won't be worrying about running out of free space. Then once you have an album created on the web... you can simply insert the link to the picasa album (or the individual photo) into your blog.

I would suggest that you create an email address JUST for the blog... to sign into and to receive email alerts. Use gmail. It's free.
Don't complicate your life by using your normal email address that you use for communicating with family and frieds as your blog email address.

so... 1. create an email address you'll use for your blog sign in ... gmail.com clicky

2. Download Picasa into your computer Download Picasa

3. Create some Picasa albums online .. it's a part of Google Plus but you can just go to the original Picasa online albums. SETUP online Picasa album

4. Create your blog on Blogspot.com How to do that
Kathy

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Check out www.blogspot.com
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."