cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet Total Usage

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to switch from my slow but unlimited DSL connection.All the cable services have a GB per month cap.

How can I test my total internet useage? I put the Networx program on my main computer but what about all my other usage? I have a wireless modem for laptops and that also has LAN cables going to the TV for Netflix and a LAN for a Verizon phone extender.

Thanx
21 REPLIES 21

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
I was "grandfathered" in with my provider having been with them for 20 years. My plan had slow speeds but unlimited data, but keep in mind that was before streaming.

Five years ago I wanted to change my plan to accommodate better download speed for streaming, but in doing so I would be limited to 50 GB monthly with a very high per GB surcharge over that figure. I did it anyway but had to watch my usage.

Shortly after changing the plan & if I remember correctly there arose some legal issues with internet providers limiting & gouging customers over GB home usage.

I still have the same plan but now have 300 GB per month. I was told by my provider that I would get a friendly email notification & warning if I ever exceeded the 300 GB but would not be charged for extra GB for first occurrence.

On another note what internet providers don't tell you is your speeds will become adversely affected by the more people using that provider in your service area.

My current plan @ $59 monthly is "up to" 50 Mbps download speed and "up to" 3 Mbps upload. They now offer 75/5 & 100/10 home usage plans also.

I just tried "pianotuna" test & got ping @ 36ms, download @ 52.28 & upload @ 3.24....... I must be the only one in my area using the internet right now.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I have Verizon Quantum (I think that is what it is called). Wife watches netflix, we both use our laptops, the kid is hosting games on his X-box, and three smart phones are spitting data at as constantly. Never had an issue...triple play price stays the same for phone/internet/tv. Never heard of limits for usage.

The only thing plugged in is his X-BOX (he says it works better that way ????) everything flies around the house on some magical wave. Even the TV (which also has a cable) talks to the router by WIFI for netflix, etc...

All those waves gonna kill us some day.

Now my phone has limits...I think 3gs shared for me and the wife. We try to use WIFI connections as much as possible.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

What is the current maximum speed? Multiply that number by the number of hours in a month.

I would never give up an unlimited account. I can successfully use netflix at a download speed of 0.26 megabytes per second. Upload speed is about 0.17 megs per second.

speed test
My DSL is only 5 MBPS speed. At that speed you can not watch Netflix in HD.

Not sure how your calculation would tell me anything since we don't use it 24/7.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Have never seen a cable system with a GB per month cap before, at lease where we live. You sure it's not a bandwidth cap like 15/30/50 MB/Sec.?

10M Internet

Download: Up to 10 Mbps
Upload: Up to 2 Mbps

Total Monthly Data Plan:
300 GB/Month

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

What is the current maximum speed? Multiply that number by the number of hours in a month.

I would never give up an unlimited account. I can successfully use netflix at a download speed of 0.26 megabytes per second. Upload speed is about 0.17 megs per second.

speed test
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Have never seen a cable system with a GB per month cap before, at lease where we live. You sure it's not a bandwidth cap like 15/30/50 MB/Sec.?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can log into my internet provider and see a CURRENT USAGE REPORT in GBs...

This includes what I have downloaded from Internet as well as what I sent to the Internet.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS