cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Internet options for Canadians in the US and Mexico?

djbroughton
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Class A motorhome and we spend about 5 months in the winter between southern US and Baja, Mexico. We have been using a Verizon Jetpack Mobile Hotspot for internet but our device just quit working and we have to upgrade anyway. In order to register for a Verizon pre-paid plan, as a Canadian I have to jump through a bunch of hoops, including fictitious SS number, US address etc.

I am looking for a Canadian option that I can use when we go south. Any ideas?
We currently use Shaw Internet in our house and put it on "suspend" for the time we are south.

Dave B
2006 Monaco Camelot 40pdq
Calgary, Alberta
Dave- Calgary, Alberta
06 Monaco Camelot 40 pdq
11 REPLIES 11

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I don't add a new card until the old one expires. Nothing rolls over.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gulfcoast wrote:
I'd use a Straight Talk hotspot from Walmart. Choose either Verizon or ATT towers. $15 for 1GB and up to $50 for 5 GB. Mine works PERFECT every where I go.
5GB for 60 days. Can you add more GB and days before the previous 5GB is used up?

I'm thinking of my Tracfone: 1 add a year 3 months before expiry, I now have 15 months service + my minutes roll over. No, it's not internet but I'm wondering if the same model applies.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'd use a Straight Talk hotspot from Walmart. Choose either Verizon or ATT towers. $15 for 1GB and up to $50 for 5 GB. Mine works PERFECT every where I go.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
Shaw internet in the USA? I don't think so.

I misreaad the post. I edited the post to say Shaw TV. That's why I mention Straight Talk for internet. Somehow I thought he was streaming TV as well. Must have still been half asleep or half drunk!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am using a TelCel SIMS in a Samsung Galaxy and I am upgrading Monday to a month to month 5GB unlimited calls plan for 500 pesos/month. More freedom than an ISP like Banda Ancha. Where there is a cell tower it will work.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
At the moment, we're using OnStar for our roaming internet provider. Well, we will shortly if we go south this winter.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Shaw internet in the USA? I don't think so.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can bring your Shaw TV service you to the US and it will work all the way into Mexico. You need the same Shaw antenna like the one on your home which you will put on a tripod and point at each new location. It sounds challenging but it's not after a bit of practice. Setup should take less than 30 minutes once you understand the process.
You should be then be able to use something like Straight Talk from Wal Mart. Not cheap but good in the US. They likely have a Mexico plan available as well.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Maxi_Signal
Explorer
Explorer
See if you can get a Cricket account ( runs on AT&T network ). No roaming in Canada Mexico and is month to month . No contract.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Calgary:

I would suggest you contact the following outfit. They are a part of Communications Group:

http://www.commgroup.com/index.php?id=calgary/

CALTRONICS Communications Ltd.
4410 - 50th Avenue SE
Calgary, AB
T2B 3R4

(403) 279-2242
(800) 605 6008 Toll free
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

frank-2
Explorer
Explorer
try
roam mobility

www.roamobility.com