cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Receiving Direct tv on the road

we3
Explorer
Explorer
I have Direct tv at home and very happy with it. This winter we are heading south and would like to take it with us. There is a app where we can communicate with our HR24 at home and stream to our iPhone for viewing. The problem is this app is garbage, it has terrible reviews. Next is to take our receiver with us and purchase a HD dish/with tripod which is large and difficult to set up while moving several times a week. Could purchase roof mount with auto alignment however I have heard many stories of trees blocking signal while parked. Purchase SD dish/with tripod which is smaller and easier to align with acceptable viewing however can not be used with a HR24. I possibly could purchase a SD receiver however I have grown accustom to recording shows when I am elsewhere and don't want to change. Also I am not interested in changing Sat companies. Also streaming off WIFI in campgrounds is impossible/unacceptable.
I know there is a wealth of info out there so would appreciate any help.
18 REPLIES 18

we3
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I was in the same predicament. I first took the SD box from home and installed it into the coax system in my trailer. Nothing but problems. The portable antenna took time to set up and there were times I never found the 101 satellite; very frustrating.

We now have the wireless Genie system at home and take it with us. Nice thing is the three TV's we have hooked up to it can each watch a different channel. And it's not part of the trailer's coax as the Genies use HDMI. I installed the Travler on the roof and only once haven't been able to lock on to the three satellites for HD viewing. Push a button and the Travler does all the work. Wireless Genie is a great system.

We also have the wireless Genie at home however I understand that all it does is get signal from the H24 receiver. We do camp in state parks often where I am even concerned about getting a signal with a tripod.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the same predicament. I first took the SD box from home and installed it into the coax system in my trailer. Nothing but problems. The portable antenna took time to set up and there were times I never found the 101 satellite; very frustrating.

We now have the wireless Genie system at home and take it with us. Nice thing is the three TV's we have hooked up to it can each watch a different channel. And it's not part of the trailer's coax as the Genies use HDMI. I installed the Travler on the roof and only once haven't been able to lock on to the three satellites for HD viewing. Push a button and the Travler does all the work. Wireless Genie is a great system.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

we3
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
You can log into your directv account and watch on your computer. Get yourself a hotspot for internet connection.

That is what this Direct tv app is suppose to do but very few people have success with it.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
You can log into your directv account and watch on your computer. Get yourself a hotspot for internet connection.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind