cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sat signal blockage

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
For all the people that doubt the Tailgater and say that they dont work very good, here is a photo I took by setting my phone on top of mine this morning. This is the view mine had all weekend and I had all my channels and all my HD was working perfectly. If you look at the bottom of the photo you can even see the top of the sat. Maybe this will help people that are on the fence about these things.

1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS
11 REPLIES 11

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I did go out earlier to confirm and I was thinking of the wrong dish on the side of my house. The one for my internet is the one that is tilted down quite a bit. The tailgater still had to be clipping the toips on those trees though. I was still impressed with the reception in such a small dish
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
keeping in mind that the LNB arm is about 15 degrees below the actual viewing angle.

24 degrees, actually!

Oops! Thanks for the correction, Bill! :B
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
keeping in mind that the LNB arm is about 15 degrees below the actual viewing angle.

24 degrees, actually!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Well I was holding my phone at about the same angle as what the dish on the side of my house is. The camera was set to as wide of angle as it would go, and that little silver camper over there had a 50' extension cord ran from my trailer over to his on Friday while the park rangers fixed his post.

2 weeks ago we were in the next site over and got all channels but no HD. Once it started raining we were out of luck. If my signal was coming in over the top of those trees I would be shocked to find out.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Tailgater and am very happy with it. But I agree with above that the angle to the sats is pretty steep. I use a phone app to locate an opening thru the trees and the sats are very high in the sky. But it does not take much of an opening to get good reception.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
As Bill said, depending on where you're located the actual dish elevation angle can be pretty steep, easily clearing what seem like nearby objects. The first photo below shows our offset multi-LNB dish aimed at the Dish eastern arc sats from Manatee Springs SP in Florida, and the second photo shows our dish aimed at the Dish western arc birds in Bushnell, Florida. Notice the elevation, keeping in mind that the LNB arm is about 15 degrees below the actual viewing angle.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
For all the people that doubt the Tailgater and say that they dont work very good, here is a photo I took by setting my phone on top of mine this morning. This is the view . . .

Tailgaters work fine -- it's just that they are yesterday's technology (single receiver & Western Arc sats only).

The new KING Tailgater supports 2 receivers (but is still Western Arc only).

I'd opt for a Winegard Pathway X2 -- supports 2 receivers and can acquire DISH's Western and Eastern Arc sats.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a very rough general rule if the trees in front of you are far enough away that if they fell toward you and would not hit the antenna then you will have a clear shot over the top. So, a 50' tree 50' away will likely not cause you any problems. However, that same tree 25' away could block the signal unless you are in the Southern US. In FL, the satellite would likely still be above that tree only 25' away. In the South, I have set a satellite antenna on the picnic table beside the coach and still picked up the satellite.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
You would have to be in Alaska for the satellites to be that low in the sky. If you were, and the satellites were behind those trees, you would not be receiving a signal.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
If you mean to say the birds are on the other side of those trees and you had signal through those trees... simply not possible. If you're right on your direction, the birds were higher above the treetops.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good to me