cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite Reception Problems.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dish Network and a Winegard Travelers Satellite antenna. The travelers found the satellite, but my tv screen is saying something is blocking the reception. I get on and off TV programs. I also lost Hd. I always thought if the antenna found the satellite your good to go, perhaps I'm wrong.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
7 REPLIES 7

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you look at the Trav'ler control box is there a "*" in front of the 119, 110, 129 numbers? If not, the Trav'ler was unable to get a good signal from that 1 satellite. As long as it can see 119 it will lock and stop looking. As mentioned that might be a very weak signal but the best the controller can achive.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the signal strength I used to know the path, I thin it's Menu 3-1-1 but not sure)

It may be you have a tree blowing in the breeze between your antenna and the satellite, in fact.. I'd count on it.. Or you are right on the ragged edge of a "Shadow".

If you ever read my "What antenna do I need" post I comment one of the disadvantages of automatic roof top mounted antennas is they do not work when you park under the Evil Signal Eating Tree... Same is true of portables set up there.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
The Winegard Traveler finds all 3 satellites at the same time similar to antennas installed at home. In some cases, although your sat system is delivering some channels there is some peripheral obstruction causing the loss of HD channels and other content located on the 2 outlying satellites. Check your signal strength meter to verify all three satellites are locked in, repeat set-up to see if there is any improvement.

When trying to access satellite tv through trees or other obstructions it could appear you are locked in since some channels do come through, when HD content or other channels are not available or are sporadic there is some kind of obstruction. I've even had an overhead power line cause one of the satellites to not fully lock on, moving sat antenna about 8 inches allowed for all sats to lock on. Good luck, I hate not having my subscribed HD channels.

Thanks, I always thought if you were lock down on satellite everything would be fine. The motorhome is in our backyard and my husband will move it later on today and see what happens. It could be a tree or power pole interference. It's the first time this has ever happened to us.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
I have even had my Winneguard crank up OTH antennae block my SATV signal, and had to lower it a bit to receive signal well.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Winegard Traveler finds all 3 satellites at the same time similar to antennas installed at home. In some cases, although your sat system is delivering some channels there is some peripheral obstruction causing the loss of HD channels and other content located on the 2 outlying satellites. Check your signal strength meter to verify all three satellites are locked in, repeat set-up to see if there is any improvement.

When trying to access satellite tv through trees or other obstructions it could appear you are locked in since some channels do come through, when HD content or other channels are not available or are sporadic there is some kind of obstruction. I've even had an overhead power line cause one of the satellites to not fully lock on, moving sat antenna about 8 inches allowed for all sats to lock on. Good luck, I hate not having my subscribed HD channels.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
My Winegard Traveler does that occasionally. I have a compass app on my phone and before parking I look South/West to make sure that nothing will be obstructing my dish. No problems after doing that.
Dennis Hoppert

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Signals come in strengths, like your phone. You should have a meter on there somewhere.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman