cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sirius-XM satellite antenna repair

PierreBois
Explorer
Explorer
While shoveling snow off the roof of my TT, I sheared off my small sat. antenna.
I have several inches of the wire still there and wondered if there is a recommended way of splicing. With the several layers inside the tiny wire, is it even possible. It seems the only alternative is to buy a new one and re-lay it through the roof and into the entertainment center.
Any one have any ideas on this type of repair.

Thanks
2017 319RLS OR 5th wheel
2017 Ram 1500

We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
โ€” Pico Iyer
10 REPLIES 10

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
PierreBois wrote:
...thanks for the encouragement . I think I will give it a try, its the part about lying on the roof and soldering that may be a challenge. Its worth a try anyway
Just understand its coax and the inner and outer can never touch. This is all finesse soldering with a small iron, not brute force.
Push the shield back far enough to slide enough shrink tubing over the center conductor. All you need is close to a tack solder.. 1/64" is plenty. Slide the shrink over, heat with a lighter from the side.
Pull the shield back over, and you may need to bridge with other wire. Don't worry about full shield coverage in this service, just keep the wound short, then cover with more shrink and enjoy
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

PierreBois
Explorer
Explorer
...thanks for the encouragement . I think I will give it a try, its the part about lying on the roof and soldering that may be a challenge. Its worth a try anyway
2017 319RLS OR 5th wheel
2017 Ram 1500

We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
โ€” Pico Iyer

PierreBois
Explorer
Explorer
Push Brooming hard packed snow is impossible. Shoveling is the best as long as you know where all your roof hardware is located.
2017 319RLS OR 5th wheel
2017 Ram 1500

โ€” Pico Iyer

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The cable can be easily fixed IF you are adept at soldering small electronics. If not find someone who is and likes high places.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
How about shoving the snow off with a push broom?
Currently Between RVs

PierreBois
Explorer
Explorer
Unless there is a better way of removing snow, I still have 5 feet on my front lawn. What would you suggest for cleaning the roof?
2017 319RLS OR 5th wheel
2017 Ram 1500

โ€” Pico Iyer

8iron
Explorer
Explorer
PierreBois wrote:
While shoveling snow off the roof of my TT, I sheared off my small sat. antenna.
I have several inches of the wire still there and wondered if there is a recommended way of splicing. With the several layers inside the tiny wire, is it even possible. It seems the only alternative is to buy a new one and re-lay it through the roof and into the entertainment center.
Any one have any ideas on this type of repair.

Thanks

The cable is just too small to get a good fix...on another note, were you actually using a shovel on your TT roof?
2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I took a damaged XM/Sirius antenna lead to Radio Shack, and he said that he has tried to splice and repair them without success. It is really small and looks like a fiber optic cable with a foil shield? It was beyond my capabilities. I bought a new one for $16 on line.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Moved from Forum Technical Support

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I have spliced the cable on an XM antenna. It is not easy. And on the roof of your RV, it would have to be waterproof as well. I think the best thing would be to install a new antenna; they can be bought on the internet for about $20.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch