cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smart TV

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would a smart TV work if it is not attached to any sort of antenna but is sitting in the same room as my modem for my wifi?
I watch about as much Prime movies and shows as regular TV programming
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow
6 REPLIES 6

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Any of the internet sources will work not connected to the rooftop antenna (hulu, netflicks, etc...)

If you want to watch the local channels (in particular local news), you need to connect to the antenna or find if they let you watch online.

As far as regular TV shows, you need to find the service (hulu, netflicks, etc...) that carries the shows you want to watch.

Since it's rare for an RV not to have a built in antenna, why not just connect and watch what you like off the air and supplement with wifi shows that aren't easy to catch off the air.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
That's exactly what we did. We got rid of satellite and signed up for HULU+ to get all the channels we normally watch at 1/3 the cost of Dish. For the 'not-so-smart' flat screen tv's we got Roku adapters for under $50 to make them smart.

Exactly what I did and would not go back to Directv even if it was free.
Wifi does not need to be in same room.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is working for me in the TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
That's exactly what we did. We got rid of satellite and signed up for HULU+ to get all the channels we normally watch at 1/3 the cost of Dish. For the 'not-so-smart' flat screen tv's we got Roku adapters for under $50 to make them smart.

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any of the products listed above) and there are others that provide the same service.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We use several smart TV's this way. We also have an over the air antenna so we have an Amazon Fire TV Recast over-the-air DVR hooked to the modem. I wired the DVR to the modem using cat 5 to reduce traffic on the WIFI slightly. Hooked the OTA antenna to the DVR. Have streaming and DVR'd OTA now. Works well for us.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it will
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL