cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Signal says no Dish Hopper 3 in RV.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Their product description says...

“A software upgrade may be required if this receiver is being installed in RV or marine application. Contact a customer service rep with your order # to make upgrade arrangements.”

When I asked about the update they said they couldn’t do it and a Hopper 3 wouldn’t work in an RV. I don’t believe it. I told them to ship it anyway, as is with a DPH 42 switch and a solo hub.

Am I wrong?

Note: I have a Winegard Trav’ler and a Dish 1000.2 with EA hybrid LNBs.
Larry
25 REPLIES 25

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Doing it right does not mean installing it indoors. There are screw on terminator caps that should be used on any unused connections. You say it should be installed on a stationary platform and not an moving RV but what does that have to do with roof or inside the RV?
The switch is designed for outdoor use as you mention and it will work just fine up one the roof. If you don't like it being in the sun all of the time, place it somewhere where there will be shade from time to time or in the area under the reflector so it is protected from sun when the antenna is stowed.

I already have screw on caps.

I’ll be using the 1000.2/tripod for the next several months so I have plenty of time to think about how I’m going to hook up the Trav’ler.
Larry

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doing it right does not mean installing it indoors. There are screw on terminator caps that should be used on any unused connections. You say it should be installed on a stationary platform and not an moving RV but what does that have to do with roof or inside the RV?
The switch is designed for outdoor use as you mention and it will work just fine up one the roof. If you don't like it being in the sun all of the time, place it somewhere where there will be shade from time to time or in the area under the reflector so it is protected from sun when the antenna is stowed.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You can install the DPH42 on the roof as it is designed to be an outdoor unit. Then you will have the coax you need running inside the coach. Be sure to put some dielectric grease in all external coax connections.

I don't recommend this. While a DPH42 can be installed outdoors, it should be on a stationary platform (aka, house) as opposed to an moving RV. Also, installing a DPH42 flat on the roof exposes it to constant direct sunlight.

Finally, one of the 4 sat coax inputs would be open. While the DPH42 does come with plastic caps, they fall off easily and even if you glued one on the sun would destroy it.

Do it right -- run all three cables form the Travler inside.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You can install the DPH42 on the roof as it is designed to be an outdoor unit. Then you will have the coax you need running inside the coach. Be sure to put some dielectric grease in all external coax connections.

I hadn't thought of the grease. Thanks.
Larry

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I planned of doing the initial setup with my tripod mounted 1000.2 just to reduce the number of variables until I had the basics configured, so that should all work out.

The people that installed my Trav’ler ran the cables through a very inconveniently located patch panel. Then, just to make things more complicated, they only ran two of the three cables. Getting the DPH42, hub and A/B switches setup will take some work. The cable ends just aren’t where they need to be.
Larry

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:

A software upgrade may be required if this receiver is being installed in RV or marine application.

They're kinda right. A Hopper 3 needs software U337 or greater to work with a DPH42 switch:

The current Hopper 3 software version is U516.

However, Solid SIgnal may have Hopper 3s with older software. So the smart thing would be to connect it to your 1000.2 tripod first without using a DPH42. Then let your Hopper 3 upgrade overnight.

If you connect a Hopper 3 with older software to a DPH42, it ain't gonna work.

Once it's upgraded, connect as follows . . .

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Yep, the Dish version of the Trav'ler is basically just a western arc 1000.2 triple LNB dish with an auto aiming system. The DPH42 switch converts the standard DPP LNB outputs to a DPH format for the Hopper3's 16 tuners, just as it does on a stationary 1000.2.

They never mentioned any particular antenna. Just that an H3 wouldn’t work in an RV. No real explanation as to why. They were pretty adamant but it still didn’t make much sense. They put me on hold to get somebody’s permission to ship it without this mysterious update.

I’ve always received good information from Solid Signal so that kind of threw me.
Larry

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, the Dish version of the Trav'ler is basically just a western arc 1000.2 triple LNB dish with an auto aiming system. The DPH42 switch converts the standard DPP LNB outputs to a DPH format for the Hopper3's 16 tuners, just as it does on a stationary 1000.2.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
i was told it would work but limited to a max of three simultaneous recordings with my western arc trav’ler. to achieve the 16-simultaneous recordings requires a fixed dish.

My understanding is that the DPH42 switch will remove that limitation and allow the Trav’ler to aim properly. The schematic for that has been posted in several threads.

I don’t understand why they don’t think it will work. Perhaps they don’t either.
Larry

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i was told it would work but limited to a max of three simultaneous recordings with my western arc trav’ler. to achieve the 16-simultaneous recordings requires a fixed dish.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle