Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Text message crashing Iphones!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up.

Not only is this going around and crashing iPhones. People are then sending it to friends as a joke. :R

And if you have it set to preview that is as good as opening it.

So watch what you open and maybe change your preview settings for now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/27/text-message-crash-iphone-_n_7452324.html

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

24 REPLIES 24

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ASCII????? I started with PETSCII
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a virus, it's a code defect (a bug). The text contains Arabic and Chinese characters, if I recall correctly. And must contain a specific set of characters in a very specific order.

As a professional nerd who's dealt with internationalization/localization challenges and Unicode, "there, but for the Grace of God, go I..."

I've lamented that life was a lot easier for me, back in the 70's and 80's when we could force English and ASCII on the computing public. ๐Ÿ˜‰

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
jorbill2or wrote:
Its not virus .its a text that causes your phone to reboot .. big deal...... its an annoyance ๐Ÿ™‚

No, it reboots the phone and it disables all text messaging. You have to find out who texted it to you and send them a text out of contacts. Once this text reaches them, the problem is undone. The hard part is working out who sent it to you.

This happened to my son yesterday and this is how we fixed it.

Bruce

That might be how he did it, but it was way more effort than needed. Another message from anyone (even yourself if you have a Mac) will clear it.

The correct procedure to prevent it until the next IOS release is Settings: Notifications: Messages:turn off display on lock screen.

Fortunately I have no friends who are obnoxious enough to send me a message with those specific unicode characters. It's not something that could happen accidentally.

I read about that fix and tried it first, but it didn't work. Thanks for the tip on keeping it from happening again.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
jorbill2or wrote:
Its not virus .its a text that causes your phone to reboot .. big deal...... its an annoyance ๐Ÿ™‚

No, it reboots the phone and it disables all text messaging. You have to find out who texted it to you and send them a text out of contacts. Once this text reaches them, the problem is undone. The hard part is working out who sent it to you.

Bruce

That might be how he did it, but it was way more effort than needed. Another message from anyone (even yourself if you have a Mac) will clear it.

The correct procedure to prevent it until the next IOS release is Settings: Notifications: Messages:turn off display on lock screen.

Fortunately I have no friends who are obnoxious enough to send me a message with those specific unicode characters. It's not something that could happen accidentally.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't that the definition of a virus. Performs some function without your knowledge or approval. There are many levels of damage that can be done.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
But everyone always say that there are no viruses for the apple operating system ๐Ÿ™‚

MrWizard
this was on the evening news LAST night Wednesday..
if you use an Iphone..turn OFF msg preview until apple issues a fix
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s