cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Android Dash Cam App is the best?

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking in the PlayStore and there are numerous dash cam app's. Which ones do fellow RV.net members use and why?

I need the following:
Ease of use
Limit size of recordings, then auto rewrite
GPS information including speed on recording
Can be saved and exported

Thanks,
Terry
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have a dash cam, I have a "nose cam" (the camera is designed to be used outdoors so I mounted it on the front of the RV) it feeds a DVR with 250 hours of capacity. Since I can't get either boradcase or sat when rolling, rolling, rollind down the highway (At least not reliablly) I can record what is in front of me by simply recording input 2
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BlackVue-Wi-Fi-DR500GW-HD-16GB-Best-Blackbox-/251268816141?pt=LH_DefaultDomai...

Here's one similar to what I have. Very discrete, you wouldn't even know it was there. This one is pricey though, I've used other ones with less features successfully, my first one was $60.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Daily Roads Voyager on mine for a couple of months now. It works well, but has two major shortcomings: First, I can't figure out how to re-map the directory where it saves the videos to the SD card instead of the internal card. There is a way, I simply haven't figured out how (yet). The second is that it's a battery hog. On a good day, with the screen turned down to minimum brightness, the car charger can just barely keep up with the draw. However, because of the video storage processing and screen display processing, the battery gets hot after about an hour, and then the phone quits charging, and the battery rapidly depletes. If there was a way to turn the display off without sleeping the phone, that would be ideal, but it simply can't as best I can tell.

I'm looking for a dedicated dash cam. The phone just isn't hacking it.

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Biggest reason is insurance fraud protection. Nothing like video to put an end to he said she said nonsense.

+1

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Biggest reason is insurance fraud protection. Nothing like video to put an end to he said she said nonsense.
Puma 30RKSS

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why do you drive with a camera on the dash? Is it accident insurance?
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

livingaboard
Explorer
Explorer
I would opt for a dedicated dash cam unit that uses a memory card, uses gps for location stamping, speed and time.

I have an Android based Galaxy Note two with a huge screen and have used several apps for recording while driving. They all have their strengths and weaknesses of course but you still have to mount your phone in an awkward place on the windshield, generally. They have to be turned on unless you have an NFC tag programmed and your phone can do NFC.

I also have a GoPro Hero 3 black edition camera that I have a mount for on my windshield. It is kind of a pain in the but for everyday setup and use. Plus it is pricey.

check out youtube for videos of dedicated dash cam products

Yes, I know this didn't answer your question.
Dave
Everett, WA
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, F53 Triton V-10
Firestone air bags with Quad control air gauge
Pressure Pro tire pressure monitor
Banks Exhaust
SuperSteer rear trac bar
Olympian Wave heaters (Wall mount and portable)

atodalen
Explorer
Explorer
corrected link
Al
Al and Deedee
Spokane, WA
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
F53 chassis w/ JMcKinley CHF and Brazel's UltraTrac rear trac bar
2006 Honda CR-V, Blue Ox Aventa LX, RoadMaster Even Brake

atodalen
Explorer
Explorer
Terry, I've been playing with the free DailyRoads Voyager app on my Droid Bionic for the last couple of weeks. I haven't tried any others but this one seems to work really well for me. It's highly configurable. As to the concern of forgetting to start it before driving, it has an option to start when it detects that the phone is powered by the car dock. It meets all of your needs as far as,ease of use,limit size of recordings, then auto rewrite,GPS information including speed on recording,can be saved and exported. I did purchase a 32gb class 10 memory card for my phone to use with this app but the recording still stutters a bit on 1920x1080 HD 1080P and I have to run it in 800x480 WVGA for smooth video but that's still really detailed and clear.
https wrote:
DailyRoads Voyager link

Al
Al and Deedee
Spokane, WA
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
F53 chassis w/ JMcKinley CHF and Brazel's UltraTrac rear trac bar
2006 Honda CR-V, Blue Ox Aventa LX, RoadMaster Even Brake

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Vivitar makes a Knock-off Go-Pro style camera. YouTube description.
Its only $60 and it can be set up for constant video filming or it can give you continuous filming for hours but it continues to erase the beginning 5 minutes of the filming over and over so you always have about the last 30 minutes or more of film activity.
I use it on my Quad copter for aerial photography and its quality isn't that of a GoPro but its more than adequate.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
JN_B, what camera do you use?

RicJones
Explorer
Explorer
You might look at GoPro instead.

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like the idea of having a phone be a dash cam, as chances are good, you'd forget to start the dash cam app when it is needed most..

I have a dedicated dash cam, it is hardwired into the truck, turns on when it senses movement. Best bet for a dash cam, is set it and forget it. If it's something you need to start everytime you get into a vehicle, you are less likely to use it.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS