cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Portable Automatic Satellite for Dish?

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
As many of you are aware, I've just switched to Dish - and honestly, I've been impressed with the service and the technology - which Directv doesn't seem to possess today.

That being said, I'm looking at getting a wally and an automated antenna.

As I've doing research there are three or four players in the Market - Winegard, Tailgater (not sure who makes it) King, and one more.

Since I'm a newbie at this there are western and eastern Arc Satellites and not all of the devices will work with both Arc's.

Since i'm looking to retire and travel this terrific country of ours I don't want to purchase something that will only work in one part of the country (western arc - since I'm Los Angeles based today).

Which of the devices can use both western and eastern arc?

Thanks in advance

Josh
20 REPLIES 20

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another happy X2 user.

Getting both arcs is a big advantage when there are trees or hills.

I have Dishpointer to โ€œseeโ€ where the sats are (they are in different areas of the sky) which has let me get a signal more than a few times.

I have a roof mount dome I havenโ€™t used in years.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
If your looking for portable, look at the Pathway X2... It is HD, it will pick up BOTH Eastern and Western arch satellites.. It also has a secondary port for 2nd coax and TV..

I have it and it works well...

Joe

X2^^. Have used a Pathway X2 for three years - from coast-to-coast and up to the top of New England. HD all the way. It has the largest reflector of any of the automatic portables and, as a result, will bring in the strongest signal. The new phone app with the ability to manage our own locals without contacting Dish is wonderful, too.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
A PlayMaker will be just fine for most of the USA (especially west of the Mississippi). If you plan to spend much time in the New England states (NY, VT, NH, MA) then the more expensive Pathways X2 is recommended. Please be aware that DISH service does not extend into Canada
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Tailgater has worked well for us. But from all I have read, if the Tailgater fails I will buy the Pathway X2.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Joe!

If your looking for portable, look at the Pathway X2... It is HD, it will pick up BOTH Eastern and Western arch satellites.. It also has a secondary port for 2nd coax and TV..

I have it and it works well...

Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet