cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard 1518 Carryout.... Can i mount it to roof?

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
can i mount this thing to the roof???

the ladder mount is horrible....?

sheesh...

The winegard website has been down for days... anybody done this... and has pics...?
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun
7 REPLIES 7

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the Winegard 1518 can be mounted on the roof. I did it. I must say it was not my idea... the method and pictures did exist on this site but that was a couple years ago and, by the time I got around to it, the pictures were no longer there but the text was. You might find it if you search.

Anyway... I'll try to walk you through what I did. I had one of the old (obsolete) mounted dishes on the roof that didn't work. I removed everything but the base plate and wiring sticking out.

The tripod for the 1518 can be purchased more cheaply on ebay, if I remember right. I found stainless L brackets (online) that had two uprights spaced so that the bolt would go through one side, through the two holes (where the legs used to be) and through the other side. I wanted to make sure my mount was rigid enough... I hate surprises going down the road. ๐Ÿ™‚ Mounted the brackets to the roof with stainless screws and caulked with lap sealant. So... what I have is a removable base plate (to get under so I can recaulk in the future) that holds the Winegard 1518. There are three slots in the base plate that the feet of the 1518 fit into and rotate to lock in. Ok... "lock" isn't really true. It holds it down but nothing would keep it from turning back out so I use a bungy from the 1518 handle to one of the brackets. It doesn't take much pressure, just enough to keep it from vibrating out of the channels.

On to the wiring.... I bought an additional power cord that has the Winegard connector, cut off all but the connector and wired it into the existing wiring from the old dish. On the inside of the coach, on the box that held the internal controls I put in a toggle switch for the power. When I decide to move, I flip the switch so that the dish won't continually seek. No... I have never tried it while moving. I don't believe the auto seeking abilities of the 1518 are up to the task of that rapidity.

So... what I have is a 1518 on the roof when trees are not a problem (and also storage when moving). Should I park somewhere and have a tree problem, I just unplug the power connector and cable, release the bungy from the handle, give it a turn and I'm holding it in my hand. I use the original power cord and cable wire that come out of the electrical bay and put it where I need to get a signal. I have the best of both worlds. Even counting the tripod and connector wire, I seem to remember having less than a hundred bucks in the job. It has been a couple years and a several thousand miles with no troubles.

I could take some pics and send them to you but I've never bothered with figuring how to post them.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
One time DW and I were strolling around a campground. We came to a 5er that had a Tailgater on the roof. The guy was outside so I asked him how he had it mounted because I have a Flex (that looks just like the Tailgater, but works with Directv). He grinned and said it is just velcroed down. He takes it down to travel. The velcro is just to hold it from the wind.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Winegard1
Explorer
Explorer
You're welcome!

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the prompt reply.

-
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

Winegard1
Explorer
Explorer
bigcitypopo wrote:
can i mount this thing to the roof???

the ladder mount is horrible....?

sheesh...

The winegard website has been down for days... anybody done this... and has pics...?

The GM-1518 does not have a roof mount and we do not recommend it. The newer Carryout G2 (GM-2000 & GM-2035) does have an optional roof mount. The ladder mount is the only "roof mounting" option for the GM-1518.

Also, sorry about the inconvenience of our website. We are going through a change into a newer website which should be back up at any moment. For now you should be able to get onto www.winegard.com

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
You sure can but the first time you get into area where tress blocks your signal you might be little pissed.
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
If you're talking about the G2, yes it can be mounted to the roof. Winegard is still down!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!