cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Dish Wally installation

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I finally got my Dish Wally this week and installed it yesterday. The MH was prepped for satellite and has a Winegard Mission in motion satellite. But the new receivers do not have coax out connectors, either RCA or HDMI. So I couldnโ€™t mount it in the passenger side overhead cabinet. So I put it in the cabinet above the main TV. I got it all hooked up, called Dish to activate it, that went smooth. Trying to get a signal was another issue. It was cloudy and off and in rain with clear skies here and there. I couldnโ€™t not get any type of signal. I even tried hardwiring it from the satellite to the receiver and nothing, it was only getting one satellite. Afte about 4 hours and some internet searching I found a few ways of disconnecting and reconnecting to get it to pass the switch test. Finally got it to pass and picked up 2 satellites. Everything working good. Try hooking it back up to the RV cables and nothing. After a bunch of various connections I found that the satellite coax does not like to go through splitters. So after I bypassed the 4-way splitter out to the TVโ€™s it finally works. So Iโ€™ll have to get an A/B coax switch for the satellite/OTA connection. So I will now at least have TV and 50 channels instead of 2 useless OTA stations LOL. The Only TV that wonโ€™t have sat is the bedroom, which is fine we never watch TV in their anyway. Just need to run an HDMI to my outside TV now.

So if anyone is doing this, do not use splitters the sat signal does not like them. And donโ€™t try and activate it for the first time while itโ€™s cloudy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
6 REPLIES 6

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
. . . do not use splitters the sat signal does not like them . . .
DC is needed to operate most satellite roof units. Typically the DC is supplied to the roof unit via the coax cable (along with the RF signal). If you use any splitters or RF switching devices between the receiver and roof unit that happen to have a DC blocking component, the roof unit won't operate.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
What part of the US are you in and what 2 satellites are you receiving? The Mission comes from the factory set for DTV. Did you set it for DISH Western Arc or Eastern ARC?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok. So I got the A/B switch and installed it to switch between sat or OTA worked perfect.
Not sure if this is right or not, but Iโ€™m picking up only 2 satellites, I tried rescanning with clear skies and still only 2. Iโ€™ve got about 47% signal. No problem with picture and no dropping of signal. So far so good.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are multiswitch devices for multiple sat receivers on a single dish.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The typical setup is sat coax to receiver and HDMI to TV and OTA over the air tuner to the receiver. Or OTA coax to second TV input. Not sure about your A/B switch plan which is typically used to switch OTA coax.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It is widely known that splitters are a no no. Also don't use cheap connectors and cables.