cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wingard portable dish mounting

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Windgard G2 dish (looks like a dome) that I use when camping. I have Direct TV service and it works great. Rather than setting it on the ground or on the camp table, I would like to come up with a way to easily put it on the roof or mount it to the ladder on the roof. Right now I chain it to the bumper so it doesn't disappear but we're constantly tripping over the cable. It would have to be some kind of device that would be easy to get it up there and so that it would be somewhat hard for a thief to attempt to get it down. I don't, however, want to have to climb the ladder to put it up there everytime I want to use it.
Has anyone come up with any clever way of doing this?
8 REPLIES 8

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
IMG_0089 by raindancephoto, on Flickr
IMG_0088 by raindancephoto, on Flickr
IMG_0087 by raindancephoto, on Flickr
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
I can't claim the method I'm about to describe as my own but this came from someone else on this Forum several years ago.

The tripod that is an accessory for the dome can have the legs removed. Bought three stainless L brackets (on Amazon) with holes on one end that were 1" apart, if memory serves. Attached the L brackets to the tripod base and mounted to the roof in place of the old non-working sat dish. Once the feet for the dome are inserted in the base and the slight turn locks in place, I use a bungie cord to insure it won't turn out. Many, many miles, wind, snow, ice... you name it and that dome mount has lived through it.

So, now, what I have is either mounted or, if under trees, removable and placed out from under.

Note: I did buy an additional proprietary wire/plug to connect to the power on the roof. I also added a on/off switch to the interior box that used to house the old sat dish controls so that, when it's time to move, I just kill the power to the dome. When I get to my destination, I flip the switch and turn on the receiver.

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Illinois to Florida to Texas and back to Illinois as well as shorter trips with no problems. Never have had to take it down since mounted over three years ago.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
Same here, have never had the need to remove it it over three years....

haydoracin wrote:
I have the Winegard ladder mount and have not had any problems. I leave it mounted there semi-permanent but can remove it if I needed to if blocked by trees.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
haydoracin wrote:
I have the Winegard ladder mount and have not had any problems. I leave it mounted there semi-permanent but can remove it if I needed to if blocked by trees.

Do you leave there when traveling? Any issues with it being exposed to rain and cold weather?

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I went into Wingards website and they have several different mounts. I think I can come up with something using their designs.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
does your rear ladder curve over the roof? if so you could make a platform on the horizontal bars to mount the dish to. just leave it mounted there.
bumpy