Did you mean: 

A book for beginner

jasonofthefifth
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I am new the proud owner of a hybrid travel
trailer

I am looking for a book to get me started, something hopefully interesting to read, but also offer me some maintenance and repair advice and help.

A book to replace the interent and to use when no on is around, Tried google and a few purchases.

I am looking for a first hand opinion of a book you would not want to leave with out.

thank you all i appreaciate your time and replies, this is the beginner section and yes i am a beginner looking for some help.
21 REPLIES 21

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you looking for a book that will explain basics like water hookups, electrical systems, and so on?

Or are you looking for more like a "home repair book" for RVs?

I looked for a while when I started and didn't really find anything that I felt actually provided guidance in specifics. They were all very general and tended to gloss over areas where I wanted more info.

I ended up going out with the attitude that if it broke during the trip, i'd just do without and fix it when I got home. I did that several times over the years:

Fridge thermocouple died - had a friend bring me ice (or I would have gone for some) and used a soft-sided cooler I kept for day trips.

Hot water tank split - used a couple pitchers I had for lemonade and used the campground water.

Battery died - used puck lights and lanterns, the campground water, and the campground restrooms. Fridge doesn't need 12v to run.

Found that having camped before, finding myself with a broken house system didn't ruin a trip, just made it different.

Would still love to find a book that explains the systems enough for quick repairs on the go, so hoping someone actually responds with some titles.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Lifes RV Maintenance Manual might come in handy.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
If you want to learn, go camping. If you have trouble someone will show you.

BINGO. Don't be bashful. Keep an eye on open storage areas of neighbours & ask the guy with the biggest toolbox which is near the front, easily accessible.

That is the guy who does all his own work & knows stuff.

What goes around comes around. Someday you will return the favour.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jasonofthefifth
Explorer
Explorer
I very much agree, I have tried reviews are all over the place.
I alos got burned ona few crummy books, just hoping for a first hand opinion.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Type in 'RV BOOKS' into google search and you will get alot of hits. Alot available from AMAZON...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

jasonofthefifth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,
I very much plan to, as a tent camper I am looking forward to the trailer.
However I looking for a good book to help me when someone is not around or to enjoy between my trips!
Any suggestions?

I have wasted some money on books and looking for help!

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to learn, go camping. If you have trouble someone will show you.