cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brand new to rv

Jmanuch
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wanting to purchase a class c motor home which is 25' length. I've heard that most places have a 21-22' length restrictions. Any advice on this length issue is graciously appreciated. I'm really wanting a class c. But want to make life easier - not harder??
7 REPLIES 7

Jmanuch
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so very much. I Soooo appreciate all the knowledge and insight. I am feeling so much better about this. Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
At most Connecticut state parks, the campsites are huge. Not a lot of hookups, though - you are mostly "dry camping", no water supply or electric hookup... you need to use your camper's fresh water tank and battery power supply. Or you can get a portable generator. Or... your Class C may come with an onboard generator.

I have never heard of 21-22 foot length restrictions anywhere in Connecticut. Were you talking to a person with experience with RV type camping? He or she may just be mistaking what they overheard, or more may have been talking about a specific campsite somewhere.

You will be fine with a 25 foot Class C. You will find all sorts of campgrounds in CT, both state parks and private campgrounds. You will be surprised at all the places to explore in CT that you didn't know about.

Then you will expand your camping to surrounding states and be amazed at all that New England has to explore. Upstate New York, Maine, etc - countless campgrounds and things to discover.

Then you will head down the east coast, and may end up at Fort Wilderness in Disney World.

Then you will look westward and realize you want to retire early to try to see EVERYTHING!

Have fun!

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see anything in your post about state parks so, in general, length is not an issue. Most RVs are well over 22' long. We are about 31' and rarely have a problem. We have been asked about our length at a Vermont state park. Not all their sites could accommodate RVs over 30'. We were assigned a site that could accommodate us, no problem.

I would not have any concern about having an RV that is 25' long or even much longer.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't have any size problem in the more popular CT state parks like Hammonassett, Rocky Point and Mashamouquet Brook. Nice sized lots and entry roads. Might have problems getting a site w/ partial hookups though.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the Connecticut DEEP web site to look up what kind of state parks are available in CT. Unfortunately, the web site does not give any information about the specific camp sites (like Indiana DNR web site does). Looking at some of the campground maps, I can see how they might be smaller sites. This is not true for every park or State Park, and definitely not true for states outside of CT. If your only camping will be inside CT, then I strongly suggest you go visit a couple state parks. You may have to pay an entrance fee, but if you go to the campgrounds, drive around and evaluate the size. You may even take a tape measure and measure off a few to give you an average. This will give you a better idea of what is available. You could also call the park office for the same information too.

What I'm saying is, if CT is the only state you will be camping in, yes there is a possibility the sites are small. But if you plan on venturing outside CT, I don't think you'll have any problems at all with the size of camper you are considering.

Go visit some State Parks and get real world information before purchasing that RV. Consider this as one of those "steps" you need to complete before you make your purchase, to determine the appropriate length of camper you can live with. That is really the only way you'll have your best answer.

But if you ever venture to Indiana and stay at any of the State Parks or State Recreation areas, you'll find sites quite in abundance 50 feet plus!

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
Camp sites with hookups are revenue generators for state parks. Even older parks are revamping their campgrounds to accommodate larger RVs. You should have no problem with that rig.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

JoeGood988
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know where you heard about a max of 20-22' for rv's. I would say the average length is 32-36'....with a max of 45'. We have a 36' and have had no problems in over 25 years of camping. I would say state parks have the smallest campsites but other than that many sites are 36-50 feet in length (full hookup or water/elec) Motorhomes, toy haulers, fifth wheels & travel trailers almost all average 24'- 40'...relax and enjoy camping.
2003 3330 Jayco Legacy