cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

capital one credit card

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
Just had a long conversation with capital one about my permanent home address. They said I cannot use UPS store as my address. If I did not provide them with a building address they were going to cancel my credit cards. So I gave them the address of campground I am currently staying at. Anyone else have this problem?
23 REPLIES 23

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
timmac wrote:
njtony wrote:
Just had a long conversation with capital one about my permanent home address. They said I cannot use UPS store as my address. If I did not provide them with a building address they were going to cancel my credit cards. So I gave them the address of campground I am currently staying at. Anyone else have this problem?

With Capital One sloppy handling of your private info why than keep the card..

Plenty of other banks that will offer with a P.O. box address..

Mailing address? Sure. Physical address, no way. You cannot open an account in any US chartered bank and have a physical address as a PO box. It's against OCC regulations and fines are in the neighborhood of $200k per instance. There was a nationwide OCC consent order back in 2013 that mandated this. But most banks are still dealing with legacy populations and that takes time. But they can send your statements anywhere you like (within reason).
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
As someone who works at a bank managing compliance regulations, I deal with this all the time. Per the OCC and OFAC regulations banks are required to validate the customer's address is a physical address. This is not to be confused with a mailing address (account address) which can be a PO box. This is due to AML, antiterrorism, SDN, OFAC etc etc - compliance 8 ways of Sunday. So it's not the banks fault, it's the government - and rightfully so. In order to protect banks, their customers and the nation as a whole, every bank is required to "know your customer". This means validating where you live. If you have an older account and your physical address is listed a PO box, technically it's an OCC violation, but it's likely you are not deemed a high risk and thus fall lower on the priority list to update your profile and validate a physical address. Every bank is required to do this and it's a huge and costly initiative especially when dealing with older data when it wasn't required and now you have to back and backfill. Most banks like Cap 1 and the one I work have upwards to 30-50MM customers. It's a very large and expensive ordeal - not to mention bad customer experience. But in short, it's not the individual bank's fault.

X2, this is all correct. I'm in IT and worked for a bank for over 9 years until they got bought out. I really hate Capital One, had them for a long time until their customer service dept. allowed a PIN to be set on our card without proper verification. That said, don't blame the messenger (Capital One).
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
As someone who works at a bank managing compliance regulations, I deal with this all the time. Per the OCC and OFAC regulations banks are required to validate the customer's address is a physical address. This is not to be confused with a mailing address (account address) which can be a PO box. This is due to AML, antiterrorism, SDN, OFAC etc etc - compliance 8 ways of Sunday. So it's not the banks fault, it's the government - and rightfully so. In order to protect banks, their customers and the nation as a whole, every bank is required to "know your customer". This means validating where you live. If you have an older account and your physical address is listed a PO box, technically it's an OCC violation, but it's likely you are not deemed a high risk and thus fall lower on the priority list to update your profile and validate a physical address. Every bank is required to do this and it's a huge and costly initiative especially when dealing with older data when it wasn't required and now you have to go back and backfill. Most large banks like Cap 1 and the one I work have upwards to 30-50MM customers. It's a very large and expensive ordeal - not to mention bad customer experience. But in short, it's not the individual bank's fault.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Capitol one card is registered to my PO box.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We have a Cabelas Card and Cabelas switched to Capital One. I had to sign up with them, but I didn't have any trouble doing it. We fulltimer (15 years) and use Dakota Post in SD.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I think I just heard about a data breach with Capital one. Something to check on.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
njtony wrote:

With Capital One sloppy handling of your private info why than keep the card..

Plenty of other banks that will offer with a P.O. box address..

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Careful who you โ€œblame.โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I think it's a result of the Real-ID laws. I do most of my banking with Capital One, and I had to use something besides my mail service address.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E